Organic Herbal Ich treatment

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

loachmom

Organic Herbal Ich treatment

Post by loachmom » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:45 pm

Hello,

I was reading about ich treatments at the Kordon website and came across this page
http://www.novalek.com/kordon/ridich/index.htm
Near the bottom of the page, alternative treatments are mentioned. There are three 'new' organic herbal treatments for some fish diseases. I don't know how new they are, but they are new to me.
I like the idea of natural treatments, plus I like that these treatments won't harm inverts.

Has anyone used any of these?

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:04 pm

I think I might have a long time ago. I haven't returned to the product. I don't think it works really well.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:06 pm

loachmom-
I haven't heard of these organic treatments, but they sound like good products.

IMO, the only sure fire method for treating full blown ich infestations is prevention. These ich products seem to be marketed for prophylactic treatments for preventing ich. It sounds like something I might use in the future because I certainly don't trust my luck if a new fish in quarantine has an unsightly case of ich or not.

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:51 am

Thanks for the repies.
chefkeith wrote:l
IMO, the only sure fire method for treating full blown ich infestations is prevention.

I agree entirely. Unfortunately, I was too hasty recently while quarantining a new bristlenose pleco, and now I have my first ich case in two years in my loach tank. I could kick myself. Hopefully I've caught it soon enough, and there won't be any fatalities.
Patience is a virtue, and I need more of it.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:06 pm

Good luck with the treatment. Let us know how it went.

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:04 pm

Hello,

Just wanted to update about my ich case. I think I was fortunate and noticed the ich before it affected too many fish. The day I noticed it, I was sitting on the sofa with some of my children when I looked over at the tank and saw the loaches having a group scratching party across the sand. A horrifying sight for any fish keeper!

I didn't have time to order any of the Organic Herbal Treatments, but instead upped the temp to 88 degrees and added salt. I have the salt level at 1 1/2 tsp. per gallon. The only other fish that were scratching and had ich spots were the rummy nose tetras. I only could see about three ich spots on one of the loaches, but all were scratching.
It's been a few days now since I saw the last spot. Hopefully, that's the end of it. I'll wait another two weeks, and then comes the slow process of removing the salt with water changes so that I don't cause my fish to suffer osmotic shock.
:)

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:08 pm

Glad to hear it! I hope that it continues to all work out well.