Dying Fish-Help please!

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Windmill

Dying Fish-Help please!

Post by Windmill » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:46 am

I am new to this forum and asking for your help so soon. I hope someone has some suggestions, b/c I am really worried.
Yesterday out of no where, my fish started dying. I lost one hatchet and then later on last night a danio. I noticed one of my other hatchets were swimming in circles, so I isolated it in the little offspring (not the real name) basket that hangs at the top of the tank. This morning he is gone.
I also noticed yesterday my two loaches were acting weird! I love my loaches. The one today is lying on the BOTTOM of the tank acting like he is not getting enuf air, gills moving quickly, mouth breathing, etc. When I move the water-he only moves with it. The other one is not acting right either, he is at still swimming-but at the top of the tank.
I have not introduced anything new into the tank in 4-5 months. I did a filter change on Sunday and rinsed the carbon with the tank water. We have a Bio wheel filter, btw. The temp is 78-80 degrees as it always is. Last night when the two fish died I did a 30-40%water change and cleaned the rocks with the cyphon system. I then put Stress Coat in the water since I had changed so much of it. My ph today is ok. I did not think to check it last night b4 the water change! Wish I had...
I will go and get my water checked today at Petsmart. I have no live plants in the tank. I cannot keep them alive b/c the light is so far away from the bottom they do not get enuf light and do not last long.
I am sorry for such a long post. I wanted to make sure you had all the facts to help. I cannot imagine what could have happened all the sudden to hurt my fish. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Can you take an aquarium to the vet?
Jerri in Ohio
55 Gal Set up for 4 years
3 Corys
2 Clown Loaches
2 Platys 4th gen
4 Tetras
3 Danios and
Cat "Chips" 11 yrs old
Boxer Mix "Mugsie" 13 yrs old
Welsh Corgi pup "Pumpkin" 6 mths with hubby and I (age undisclosed!)

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:19 am

When you go to get the water checked, ask them to give you the actual numbers of the results. Often they will just say it's good or bad. The numbers are important (People often think .25-.5 Ammonia is fine and it isn't).

Ammonia = 0.

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate less than 20

If you can, pick up some Prime and a hang in the tank Ammonia detector while you are at PetSmart.

Increase the oxygen in the tank by dropping your water by 1 or 2 inches in the tank.

Do you have a LFS with really good fish people (PetSmart doesn't have the best rep for having really knowledgeable fish people). If you have a LFS with really good fish people they might be able to help with a fish problem (Better than a vet).

The only things I can think of is when you changed the filter, you removed too much of the biofilter by accident (which has spiked th ammonia), or something has been added to the tank accidentally like pesticides, perfume, air freshener, soap, window cleaner, . . .

Good luck. Let us know the results from PetSmart.

I am sure one of the experts will be along soon to help out.

Windmill

Post by Windmill » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:26 am

Thank you for your thoughts. I do not know what an "LFS" is-But I bet it is good! I did call Aquarium Aventures this a.m. The freshwater consultant there was rather puzzled also. Only suggested turning off the light, antibiotic tablets in the water in case of a parasite(nothing to the naked eye) & not to be alarmed if they do not eat & small water changes every other day. Jerri
3 Corys
2 Clown Loaches
2 Platys 4th gen
4 Tetras
3 Danios and
Cat "Chips" 11 yrs old

oilhands

Post by oilhands » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:28 pm

Windmill wrote:Thank you for your thoughts. I do not know what an "LFS" is-But I bet it is good! I did call Aquarium Aventures this a.m. The freshwater consultant there was rather puzzled also. Only suggested turning off the light, antibiotic tablets in the water in case of a parasite(nothing to the naked eye) & not to be alarmed if they do not eat & small water changes every other day. Jerri
LFS = Local Fish Shop (i.e. the place wherein you purchase your Aquarium stock and supplies locally)

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:14 pm

I would not add antibiotics or any meds to the tank. It sounds like a water quality problem like starsplitter noted. If you have another fish store other than PETSMART to get your water tested It might be better. See if they can test your G/H, K/H, and TDS. Also take a sample of your tap water or whatever you're using for water changes to be tested for comparison. I'm just learning about these things myself. The more data you can give the more likely someone will be able to analyze your problem. Good luck!

Windmill

Post by Windmill » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:24 pm

My water tested fine. All normal. Now both loaches are gasping and on their sides. I feel so bad for them. They look miserable.
I have also lost the last hatchet.
3 Corys
2 Clown Loaches
2 Platys 4th gen
4 Tetras
3 Danios and
Cat "Chips" 11 yrs old

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:01 pm

When in doubt, do a 50% water change.. The new water will help thin out any toxins in that water and will add some oxygen.

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:51 pm

Hello Windmill,

Sorry you are having this problem. Turn off the tank lights and shine a flashlight into the tank. Do the fish appear to be coated in a gold dust? If so, they probably have velvet. Gasping and lethargy and death can be a sign of velvet (disease), or ich in the gills. Were the fish ever flicking against objects like they were scratching themselves?

Definitely lower your waterlevel so you get some splash from the filter return as starsplitter suggested. This will help your fish breathe a little easier till you find out what is wrong.

Please keep us posted.

Windmill

Post by Windmill » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:46 pm

I have taken some of the water out & checked with a flashlight. There is no coating on them nor any ick, no my non-trained eye. We went thru ick with them about 8 months ago and thought I was going to loss them then. They were coated! It took almost 3 weeks to clear up, but finally did. Now this.
I have an air tube in the tank (always do) and I have turned it up. Lost another danio just within the last hour. The catfish are swimming to the top and getting air about every 5 min. or so, this is rare for them. I do not have another tank. It is out on loan.
This feels almost hopeless. At what point do I consider euthinasia for the loaches? One of them, now has cloudyness over his eyes; but still is trying to breathe. Jerri
3 Corys
2 Clown Loaches
2 Platys 4th gen
4 Tetras
3 Danios and
Cat "Chips" 11 yrs old

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:23 pm

I'm so sorry. I hope some other members will be able to give you some ideas.
It's a shame that you've had this tank set up so long and now this. I hope things soon improve.

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:26 pm

Sounds terrible! Sorry you're having this trouble. I think you said that you added new carbon when you cleaned the filter, is it possible that it was contaminated somehow? You might try removing it and adding new charcoal. Do you have another thermometer to double check the temp.? I'm just grasping at straws here.

oilhands

Post by oilhands » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:49 pm

Damn. That is too bad. I lost a few a couple weeks back it always sucks. Hope things turn around.

Windmill

Post by Windmill » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:27 pm

Thank you everyone for your genuine concern.
I did change the carbon and some of the water. Since I wrote last the loach that was in the most distress, finally gave up. It is kinda queer-all of the fish fins are rather "rough". Like they have been nipped at, yet they have not been. How can I be so certain? I have spent the greater part of the last 24 hours staring at this tank. ( Yes--I really care about my animals).
My gut instinct is telling me, none of the tank is going to make it. It is almost like something snuck into the tank in the night and infected it. It appears the platys and the pristella tetras (3) of them seem to not be effected. At least not yet. They are not eating well, but still swimming and acting normal.
So for tonight..the light is off- the 5" remaining loach is in the hatching net so he can rest and be closer to the O2, temp. about 79 & just gave them a small amount of food. So far, no takers. The water is clear and bubbly. I pray in the morning one of the guru's here will have an epifany of answers for my tank & I actually have fish to try it on.
Thank you again for all your concern and help. Jerri
3 Corys
2 Clown Loaches
2 Platys 4th gen
4 Tetras
3 Danios and
Cat "Chips" 11 yrs old

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:18 am

One more wild guess. Is there any chance that your heater could be mal-functioning and putting current in the tank?

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:21 am

since they don't show physical sign of disease, you'll have to assume something is toxic in the water. You'll have to do 50% water change every couple of days until the fish are back to normal.