Blind gold fish

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

starsplitter7

Blind gold fish

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:55 pm

I don't keep gold fish. I have never really been interested in them. Today I saw a blind one at the LFS. Both eyes newly plucked out, although the rest of the body is sound. The sockets are clean.

I got him home, set up a Q-tank with a mature filter, and have him with some floating plants and put other fish with him in quarantine. I will keep the tank very clean.

Any suggestions to help out this fish? I will try floating goldfish food near him. It is one of the fat guys with the flowy fins maybe a fantail about 2 inches long. They did give him to me for free.

He's with 5 small Bushynose Plecos, 2 small Golden Killies, 2 darters, . . . no one appears to be bothering the goldfish. He is the largest fish in the tank.

Thanks for any advice.
Last edited by starsplitter7 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:07 pm

The problem with this set up is that Goldfish are cold water fish the rest are tropical.

That is all I know about goldfish, other then that I can't tell you.
Rae

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:34 pm

how big is the q-tank?
A goldfish is pretty messy and will need a bigger tank.
A fish in that condition should be kept by itself. And plecos tend to attack the slime of slow & injured fish. Not sure how gentle bristlenose are.

And yes, they're cold water fish but can adapt to warmer temps.. It's not optimal in their life cycle but they'll adapt to warmer temps year round.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:52 pm

There are two things I know about goldfish. They produce a lot of waste and they are cold water.

With that said, I know the water he came from was tropical. For now through Q I thought he would do better in water he's used to.

The Bristles are not general Bristles. They are small -- under 2 inches and max out at 4'.

The Q is only 10 gallons, but I will move this goldfish outside when the eyes are completely healed. I figure a 30 should be good for a while. I may rehome him with a goldfish enthusiast, and didn't want to invest too much while I see if he survives the shock of losing his eyes. I figure he's better with me than with the fish that removed his eyes. The other fish will be moved to other tanks, and I am setting up a breeding tank for these Bristlenoses. They are very pretty -- black with white spots, very small and docile. I am not concerned with them bothering the goldfish. More the killies and darters.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:05 pm

Bushynose Plecos Bristlenose plecs can handle cooler water that Golds prefer, and have not been caught (that I know of) eating slime coat.

Golden Killies These are the ones I would worry about. They have a reputation for aggression, and a blind, slow moving fish is at a bit of a disadvantage.

darters What kind of Darters? Many are cool water, hillstream fish, requiring similar conditions to Hillstream Loaches. Probably too much water movement for the Goldfish.

Most of the fancy/fat bodies Golds do better in somewhat warmer water, such as the mid 70s F, which is fine for BN and Darters. I do not know the temperature preference for the Golden Wonder Killies.
These Golds are predisposed to swim bladder issues, and should not be fed food that contains air (dried foods) or be encouraged to gulp air at the surface. Fresh and lightly cooked vegetables, and mixed food that contain protein and vegetable matter is better. For example, try the Spirulina enhanced frozen Brine Shrimp, and Emerald Entree (another frozen food). Live plants such as Anacharis are eaten, too. Buy some Anacharis out of the food budget, and grow it in a tank without plant eating fish, and put a few strands in the Goldfish's tank now and then.
Golds do seem to produce more ammonia than other species of a similar size. Be sure to provide plenty of filtration (including media that encourages nitrifying bacteria), remove debris promptly, and in general lightly stock whatever tank he (or she) is in. Especially in the early days while any healing is happening in the eye sockets, keep the nitrates as low as possible (under 10 ppm). (Of course, after the eye sockets have healed, the nitrate should be kept under control, too ;-) )

Blind fish can be trained to know that you are there and are offering food if you tap on the tank in a certain pattern every time you feed, and only when you feed them. Golds can become almost like puppies, and this is true even if they are blind. They will still respond to you, if you let them know you are there!
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:02 am

I wouldn't worry about him to much, try just putting some food near him/around him-he will ba able to sense it. Try feeding at the same times in the same place-that might work.

My parents have a little bubble eye who lost his eye about 3years ago, to be honest he was always a bit on the dumb side of food-would always swim past miss it. Anyway now he eats quite happily from hand-my mum is paranoid of him not getting enough food :roll: . Your goldie will be fine once he heals a bit :)

Hope he makes a speedy recovery!

Ashleigh

The Kapenta Kid

Post by The Kapenta Kid » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:35 pm

Diana wrote:
Blind fish can be trained to know that you are there and are offering food if you tap on the tank in a certain pattern every time you feed, and only when you feed them. Golds can become almost like puppies, and this is true even if they are blind. They will still respond to you, if you let them know you are there!
Yes, the lateral line is a very important sensor for fish and detects subtle pressure differences in water (ie 'noise' in our medium, air). I guess this is how the blind ones get about
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:11 pm

Here's Goldie:
Her eyes look clean to me.

I am just amazed she lost her eyes, when she is in good shape. Fins fine. She has been all over the tank, and sleeps in the plants and on the sand.

I have been giving her a variety of food and I tap the tank when I am putting the food in. I hope she will learn that is the time to eat.

This is one of the Bristlenoses with Goldie. All are this species. Note the size compared to half a coconut.
Here's one of my others from another tank. Not the size in relation to a slice of zucchini.
One of the Golden Killies. Bad photo but shows the great colors. Neither fish has showed any interest in the Goldfish.
One of the Pepper Dojos. Terribly thin.
Last edited by starsplitter7 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:48 pm

the killies are very pretty. Good on you for the rescues. i amsure the goldfish will do fine. my 1 eyed rasbora and 1 side blind loach do fine, they dont seem to be set back by their poor sight at all. dont forget that in the wild the water can be tea coloured or very murky.

your eyeless goldy looks less disabled than many of the fancy types with all these weird traits that people seem to find attractive.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:29 pm

I agree with you. The goldies with the telescopic eyes I feel very sorry for. And the ones that look like balloons that can't swim.

Anyone know what this Goldie is? A little fantail?

I worry most about infection. I have had deaf ferrets and a very old dog who was blind and deaf. I know animals do well. I just couldn't bear to leave this fish behind where it could be further injured. I have had fish partially blind, but I have never had one without eyes.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:33 pm

Just checked on him and he's passed. Sigh! :(

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:36 pm

oh no! thats sad news. :(

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:38 pm

Oh I'm sorry :( at least he had a good last day or two not being picked on by what ate his eyes.
Rae

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:45 pm

I tried so hard. A small water change, a little food, a good filter, Java moss and anacharis. I am crushed. Just met him and feel so badly.

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:48 pm

You did good by him. I'm sure he will be your little fishy guardian angel.
Rae