Zipper Laoch trouble. Urgent!!!!!!!!!!

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mack

Zipper Laoch trouble. Urgent!!!!!!!!!!

Post by mack » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:53 pm

Hi all,

I have some big news to tell you all.

My Zipper Loaches just killed a Bristle Nose. They also killed 4 Harlequin Rasboras. Damaged 4 Red-Line rasboras. Chase SAE's to no end. I don't know what is up. They have just turned to killers. They have also chased my aggressive Dwarf neon Rainbows. So right now the all the fish that have been hurt an chased are in a big ball of fish at the top of the tank, trying to get away fro the Zippers.

The tank they are in is 36 inch long 30 gallon tank. It has logs lots of rock work and plant cover. So I can't see any problem with the tank.

mack
Last edited by mack on Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was once open minded, but my brain kept falling out

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:00 pm

Could you post a picture of the zipper loach? How many of them do you have and did you see them do this?

Have you checked your water quality? Maybe the fish are distressed?

mack

Post by mack » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:13 pm

RIGHT,
waiting for the water test to come out.
I am using liquid tests.

There are three Zippers. The tank temp has some how gone up from 26'c to 29 'c. Could that be why? I don't think so they killed 7 Kulie Loaches in a 50 gallon tank with the temp at 27'c.

Yes I have seen them do it. The just fly out from the rocks and smash strait in to the fish. then start eating their fins.

The water test comes out with.

pH6.3 Always at that pH.
Ammonia 0.
Nitrite 0.
Nitrate 0.

Here is the pic,

I have 4 tanks sitting around. but they will need cycling.

mack

mack

Post by mack » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:16 pm

I do a water change every week 40 %. And I do water test every few days. nothing changes. everything is all perfect.

Thanks for the help in advance.

mack

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:21 pm

I would definitely set them up their own tank. Put a filter on the tanks you have running and get them cycling. This fish does not look like my Zipper Loaches, so I wonder if you have another fish. Unfortunately, I am no expert. My Zippers are in 78 degree water. (25.5 C)

My Zippers are with young fish and small gentle fish like Threadfin Rainbows, guppies, Cories, Hillstreams, . . . . This is a temporary tank for fish to grow up.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/ac ... itis-botia

Your fish may look more like this than mine do. :)

mack

Post by mack » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi,
Mine look very similar to the ones in the link.

So how would I go about catching them??

Cheers,
mac

mack

Post by mack » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:45 pm

I have a 30in x 12in x 12in, tank I can use. I also have a spare filter running in my Quarantine tank. So I will get the filter of it, and empty the tank into this new one because the quarantine tank is only a 5 gallon. So that will help with the Cycle.

All I need now is some help with the catching of these little fast fish.

mac

raecarrow

Post by raecarrow » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:33 pm

I've found it is easier to catch my loaches by hand. The net isn't as agile or maneuverable as your fingers. My black kuhlies where able to be caught with minimal trouble.

Sorry about your other fish :'(
Rae

mack

Post by mack » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:37 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the tip.

mac

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:44 pm

I just moved my larger Zipper from a tank where she was getting beat up. I had a heck of a time catching her. I shooed her into a coconut hut and then scooped up the entire thing. She has been fine in her quiet new tank.

How long have you had them?

My larger one is shy. My smaller one is very feisty, but not aggressive. She chases fish from her favorite spot, but doesn't bite or injure them. She also eats with her tank mates and plays with them. I don't see aggression in either.

I didn't see on the species description whether they are aggressive or not.

mack

Post by mack » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi,
Mine are all around 3-4 inches long. I have had them over 9 months. Had lots of trouble with them.

They are very turf orientated, but hey never go to far from each-other. Odd odd odd.

mack

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:35 pm

I am sorry about the problems. I think a tank just for them with lots of hiding places and plants, should really help them. I will watch mine and make sure that they are not causing problems. I am generally lucky with fish, except a couple months ago when my Clowns had a death match.

I am sure the experts will know what to do and why this is happening.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:46 pm

sorry to hear about your problem Mack. that doesnt sound good.

i am afraid your water test readings dont look perfect to me. you should be seeing some nitrAte, even if its a very small amount. how old are your test kits (and did you follow the instructions exactly right? its easy to time the wait wrong, or not shake the test for long enough, which will give the wrong reading)? last time i was unsure if my tests were reading right, i got the water tested at the LFS too to check.

good luck with catching the fish!

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:22 pm

Share the filter media with the new tank. The fish that are leaving the old tank will no longer be there to produce so much waste, and the bacteria can be moved with the fish.

If the split is about 50/50 (half the fish-mass is staying in the old tank, and half is moving to the new tank) then I would simply move the established filter to the new tank, and put a new filter on the old tank. There is a lot of bacteria in the gravel, on the decorations and so on. Perhaps only 50% of the bacteria is actually in the filter.

If you half fill the new tank with some of the water from the old tank then top off both tanks it will be like giving them a big water change.

If you cannot catch the zippers, catch everyone else, and let the zippers have the old tank, and move the other fish to the new tank.

Heavily planted tanks can show 0 ppm nitrate, but the concern is a valid one: Seeing 0s for ammonia and nitrite is good. 0ppm nitrate does raise the question of why, and old test kit is often the reason.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:52 am

i'm surprised they have attacked and killed fish especially the bristlenose as they are like armour plated?.
i have the bigger brothers to the A botia and i've never had any problems with them, and they're all over 4 inches SL?.

mick