royal pleco

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sly

royal pleco

Post by Sly » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:36 am

theres a prob he doesnt seem to be eatin and his eyes and belly are sunken i dont know what to do water and temp is all in check

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:37 pm

Royals eat wood. Make sure there is a couple of different species of driftwood in the tank. Mine is doing great on bark from the valley oak, Quercus lobata, a western native tree. Many other hardwoods will work well in an aquarium.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:03 pm

Royals are apparently odd to keep- eat specific things, ie: old wood.
You're in NJ- Go outside and get some dead branches from an oak tree, preferably from the tree rather then off the ground. Put them in a bowl of water (large enough that they don't stick out) and put all in microwave for 5 minutes. Can also wrap in a water-soaked tea-towel on a plate. Take out, pour through colander/strainer and rinse well with cold water.
Now tie all the sticks together in a bundle with a string or heavy fishing line and tie bundle to a coffee-cup (tied at handle).
Sink whole thing and change water a bit if water colour changes. Put some par-boiled peas and/or green-beans in as well. Squish them in your fingers to soften a bit.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Sly

Post by Sly » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:30 pm

i have malaysian driftwood in there i also try zucchini and algae wafers he doesnt seem to be eatin and he is still living after 2 weeks i guess he was so stressed i bought him str8 off the wholesalers and they seem rough with their fish i hope he makes it he is so awsome

plecoperson

Post by plecoperson » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:45 pm

Try a slice of sweet potato--
-Lisa

Sly

Post by Sly » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:23 am

could my clown pleco and leopard pleco and bushy nose pleco be bulying him and making him scared or something

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:35 am

It is entirely possible that the various Plecos are bullying each other. In general they vary from slightly territorial to strongly territorial, which is why I am careful about combining Loricariads in smaller tanks. In tanks over about 3' long a couple of them seem to spread out OK.
One tank: One Pleco is a pretty good ratio, though.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Sly

Post by Sly » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:03 pm

yea now everyone seems to get along his eyes are getting fine again he loves his driftwood lol he never leaves it