White spot or was it?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:39 am

Botia Robert wrote:OK, so what are the effects of medicating fish when there is no need?
I think the sand could be a distinct possibility and could be an answer for a couple or some of the spots but I am not 100% sure that it was only that because none of the loaches had anything on them :?

The fish are still spawning and I am still doing water changes so I don't think there will be any adverse reactions and the protozin doesn't harm filter bacteria etc so I think it should be fine.

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:53 am

Botia Robert wrote:OK, so what are the effects of medicating fish when there is no need?
I think the better question is how devastating would it be if ich wiped out this tank of fish after a short ich treatment?

This strain of ich seems to have a faster life cycle, but maybe it's just been decieving. Just because Mark only saw the ich spots for 2 days that doesn't mean the ich wasn't already there. The 1st few days of the trophont stage usually can't be seen naked eye.
Each trophont spot on the fish has the potential to multiply into thousands of ich theronts. Even if only a small percent of those theronts find a host fish this could easily wipe a tank in less than a handful of days if it is not treated properly.

Another question is, have you ever seen danios or tetras covered in sand? Not me. I've never seen those fish dig for food either. I've seen loaches with a little sand stuck to them, but I've never seen mid-top dwelling fish covered in sand.

tender

Post by tender » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:16 am

chefkeith wrote:[Another question is, have you ever seen danios or tetras covered in sand? Not me. I've never seen those fish dig for food either. I've seen loaches with a little sand stuck to them, but I've never seen mid-top dwelling fish covered in sand.
That`s a good point. It`s basically Loaches I have seen this happen to.