baby arowana

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sly

baby arowana

Post by Sly » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:00 pm

my gf got me a baby black arowana for 2 bucks from a friend i can tell by the black stripe on it that its a black arowana and my boss who is the best willingly let me use 1 tank to keep him in at the pet store i work at ..he still has his yolk sac which is almost gone but i have a 4inch shovel nose and he is currently 2 and a half inches would it be ok to keep them together once his yolk is all gone

shari2

Post by shari2 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:04 pm

How big is the shovelnose's mouth and is he eating live foods?
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Sly

Post by Sly » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:25 am

shovel nose is 4inches eating frozen blood worms in a 300 gallon in wall tank he is kept with chinese hi fin banded shark and royal pleco and clown pleco and leopard pleco

shari2

Post by shari2 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:41 am

Might be wiser to let him grow on a bit first.
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:44 pm

exposed yolk is a problem with fish like tetras, barbs and maybe loaches- things that will pick at it. They are also very delicate at this stage re: water quality, getting startled etc... The cat is a different problem. If he finds it he will swallow it. I don't advise trusting the cat.

Is it a tiger shovel or a black/white "duck-bill" type?
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Sly

Post by Sly » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:45 pm

he is 4 inches long and brown with white line going down his entire length and black verticle stripes the arowana is 2inches long and egg sac gone

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:03 am

Duck-bill cat. Max-size is about as foot. Put it in the 55 before it makes a meal of your arawana. Put it back into the 300 once they are about the same size- 6 to 8 months.
NB: with south american arawana, use a lot of floating live foods (crickets, froglets and cockroaches) as they sometimes develop a drooping-eye condition from always looking down for food in deep tanks. Also have floating plants to generate a surface-oriented habitat.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"