Injured dojo going downhill

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sixwing

Injured dojo going downhill

Post by Sixwing » Tue May 05, 2009 10:45 am

Good morning,
About two weeks ago, my biggest dojo loach (6+ inches, and as thick as my finger, friendly, boisterous, and too curious for her own good) decided to find out where the gravel vaccuum went while I was cleaning the tank. I didn't get it away from her fast enough and she got her head stuck in the hose. I disassembled it, she got herself out, got a few scratches, but seemed otherwise fine. She now avoids the gravel vac like the plague, and I remove it if anyone gets close to the mouth.
I've been observing her closely. The scratches healed up, she got a really thick slime coat and then blew it off. Two days ago she was active and hogging all the tetras' flake food, and last night, she refused to eat and hid. I also saw a small red sore where one of the scratches had been. I caught and quarantined her, and she barely even fussed about being netted.
This morning, one of the Malaysian trumpet snails in the QT was crawling on her, and she didn't even care enough to shake it off (or eat it.)

What I'd like to know is this: What medication can I use on a sensitive loach, that will also not cause snailmageddon in my QT? I can sift the sand for snails and put them in a bucket, but I know I'll miss a bunch of MTS babies.

Thanks,

Quarantine:
5.5 gallons (pitiful, I know)
NH3 0 NO3-0 NO2- 5-10, ridiculously hard water, pH 7.2
AC10 filter w/ sponge prefilter
Sand, caves
Fake plants
Clump of hornwort
and oodles of snails.

Tank:
34 gallons
AC50 filter (cleaned weekly, else it clogs, looking to upgrade)
NH3 0 NO3-0 NO2- 5-10, ridiculously hard water, pH 7.2
Tankmates: smaller dojo, 2x small misc. Corydoras, 3x Lepidocephalichthys guntea, 6x Rummynose tetras.
Moderately planted, dosing Excel 3x MWF, water changes 20-25% weekly.

x-posted to WWM

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Tue May 05, 2009 7:41 pm

Infected injury- if it's red, it'll tend to be bacterial. There are lots of actual fish antibiotic medications, which someone will tell you about in a minute i'm sure.

In my experience, lots of water-changes and a good dose of sea-salt can help. Check the ICH treatment above for (max?) dose, and add it slowly.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed May 06, 2009 10:54 am

Sea salt, as in the salt and mineral blend for marine tanks is not the one to use.
Sea salt as in the over-priced table salt is OK. Sodium Chloride. About 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons will help with stress, but may not be strong enough to help a bacterial issue. Stronger is not a good idea with Loaches. I would try to find an anti-bacterial food, if this fish is still eating, or an antibiotic that you add to the water.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Sixwing

Post by Sixwing » Wed May 06, 2009 11:04 am

She's not eating. =/
I went to the LFS, where I am a regular customer; they gave me some of what they use for bacterial infection. It turned the water a rather noxious color of yellow, but she didn't flip out when I put it in (mixed the dose with tank water in a bowl, then put it in with a baster) and the QT!snails seem to be fine, too.
This morning, her slime coat is noticeably thinner and smoother, and she scooted around sifting sand a bit instead of just lying there; whatever it is, it seems to work.

I'm not usually big on mystery powders to put in the tank, but I trust this particular LFS employee; she's very very good and we've had many a conversation in the past. If it is what I think it is, it has a pretty good percentage of salt plus an antibacterial/antifungal; unfortunately, I have no way to measure salinity.

I'm supposed to give her a week in QT with this stuff, and can repeat the treatment if she's not better, but I think she'll get better. =)

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Wed May 06, 2009 12:32 pm

Groovy
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Sixwing

Post by Sixwing » Fri May 08, 2009 11:03 am

She's eating! \o/
She's also hunted the QT!snails into submission - I figured when I saw her chewing on a baby MTS that she might appreciate some algae wafer. She can handle the little ones. The big ones are not on the menu; they close up and she doesn't seem to be able to open them.
Whatever the mystery stuff is, it works. Next time I'm at the LFS, I want to find out what it is and buy some.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri May 08, 2009 12:07 pm

Yes, and tell us what it is, too.

Happy fish keeping!

Sixwing

Post by Sixwing » Wed May 13, 2009 10:52 am

The mystery yellow powder turned out to be salt and Nitrofurazone. It's sold in big containers for treating koi ponds. For the price, totally worth it - and one bottle of the stuff should last me for approximately ever.

The dojo is back in the main tank, completely healed, and spent quite a while blasting around with the little dojo before hiding in her favorite cave.

Thanks!
=D

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed May 13, 2009 1:16 pm

Glad to hear the Dojo has recovered :-)

Happy fish keeping!

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Wed May 13, 2009 1:44 pm

It is SO nice to read of a happy ending, am so glad that your loach recovered and well done to you for refusing to give up!!

Val