Power is out

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Holdstrong

Post by Holdstrong » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:33 pm

chefkeith wrote: I don't know if I'm good or not. I'm really just looking for an entry level IT job. I still have much to learn and really need some experience before I can say that I'm any good and know what I'm doing. I'd probably pack a better lunch than anyone else though. :D
Haha, it'll be a trade. You can show me how to keep my fish happy and healthy and I'll show you how to keep servers happy and healthy. :wink:

But in all seriousness, I can tell that you will pick IT up quick. Once you find that entry position things should take off. I was in a similar position 10 years back or so, and it was an "Office Manager" position that included some computer troubleshooting that opened the doors for me. I'm not sure how much I'd have to offer, but if you ever have any questions or are looking for some advice definitely feel free to contact me.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:07 pm

Well more bad news. Late Friday night the sewer backed up and flooded my sub-level utility room floor with about 100 gallons of human waste. I've spend the last few days cleaning it up. Still lots more work to do to get all the stink out.

Apparently a Y pipe that is shared with my neighbor got completely clogged in front of my house and when the neighbor ran their water everything backed up through my floor drain. I knew there was a clog before this happened, and had an appointment with the plumber to get this fixed, but the power went out, so I had to cancel. I couldn't have predicted this ever happening though.

At least I got to know my new neighbor and discuss the sewer problem that's been going on here for many years. They just moved here earlier this year and had no idea about the problem. Both of our houses had the sewer pipes replaced about 7 years ago, but the old Y pipe that connects to the sewer main never did get replaced. What happens is that tree roots grow into the Y pipe and clog the sewer. About once or twice a year, I need to call the plumber to clean it out. It doesn't affect my neighbor much because they don't have a sub-level room in their house.

Anyways, the plumber unclogged the Y pipe Yesterday, but it looks like our yards are going to have to dug up once again so that this can finally be fixed the right way. We'll try to see if the city will pay for it this time because the city inspector is the one that didn't want the construction company to replace the Y the last time that they dug there. I was standing right there next to the inspector when he was looking in the hole and said not to replace it. Otherwise it will cost us another 3 grand to fix this.

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:43 pm

That sucks!

Be damn careful cleaning that mess up and protect yourself - I know you have the know how. What a sh&*%$ty mess.

I'm dealing with a possible effluent contamination of the drinking water going on at my place, after much head scratching for months now on my nitrite problem the pieces have started falling together. City sewer repair gone bad I suspect is the culprit. They will be here tomorrow to look into the nastiness.

Good Luck and stay safe!
"Long May You Loach"

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:24 pm

Just went over everything for about the 10th time with a brand new mop and bleach water. The inside of my house is now about 99.9% clean and sanitized.

The night this happened I was cleaning until 5 AM and had some kind of bacterial bug that gave me the chills. I went to sleep freezing my ass off in 80F degree weather. I'm feeling 100% better now.

I noticed that some my rainbowfish have a slight case of columnaris. The nitrates are between 10-20, but I've had the UV sterilizer unplugged for about a week because the water temperature was getting a little too warm. I got that plugged back in now and will be doing about a 50% water change over the coarse of 24 hours. I wasn't doing water changes for the past week because of the sewer problem. Good thing I hadn't or the sewer might of backed up when I had no power. Had the flood happened when the power was out my house probably would of had to be evacuated. The only reason why I could do any clean up work was because I put a fan in the window and that blew out much of the toxic gas. Luckily the fishroom is on the other side of the house and I couldn't smell it from there.

Things are finally getting back to normal.

I hope you're feeling better too BotiaKeith. I've been reading the thread and I'm just flabbergasted that a problem like that can exist in tap water. I've researched a little about the nasty giardia parasite and it can even survive in chlorinated tap water, which is really really scary.
http://www.vaxa.com/giardiasis.cfm

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:50 pm

When that giardia goes into the cyst phase it seems nothing can get at it - nasty creepy little bastard for sure. I'm feeling fine, got on it this time mucho pronto - so it isn't so bad. I'm also going acidic and spicy on the diet to help make things unpleasant for them. Just put together a huge batch of one pot burrito mix that will raise the roof. Black Beans, Kidney Beans, Pinto Beans, Green Chilis, Onions, Garlic, Cumin, Cayenne, Picante sauce, a pound of sirloin rubbed and sizzled out on the grill, then shredded and thrown into the mix - cooked it down for four hours, half mashing the beans for that proper consistency - then melted some colby/jack into it. Very Tasty and Spicy! had a big feast and enough for 4 more feasts portioned out and in the freezer ready to nuke. That should teach them. 8) had to skip the lettuce and accessories because I don't even trust the water to wash produce with.

Glad you're feeling better as well - dangers are real when it comes to dealing with our own nastiness! Yuck!
"Long May You Loach"

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:55 pm

Pics for people that like to be grossed out.

The brown stuff on the floor is the crap that usually goes in the toilet. As you can see, the utility room needed to be cleaned anyway. So maybe this was a blessing in disguise.

After some cleaning

Now, you can see that I didn't finish the remodel that I started about 7 years ago. That's about when I started fish keeping and moved a bunch of junk in here. I moved that junk to the garage and I'll finally finish the remodel now. Cleaning the garage will be the next the big job after this.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:10 pm

Great recipe there. Not many chefs where I'm at use black beans that often. I love using them though. They certainly do give the dish an extra fullness of flavor.

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:35 pm

:shock: OH BOY - That's a full on assault of the foulest kind! That was bad - good thing you had that window or you would not of made it. Heroic effort - looks good now. See you had to pull up some flooring, but if anything got under there that is the right way to do it. And you're remodeled now - the hard way. :D

The Black Beans are the Cuban influence down here - I love them. Typical Cuban dinner is slow baked chicken with yellow rice topped with black beans, chopped spanish onion and a spoonful of sour cream. Good simple stuff!
"Long May You Loach"

paulmartin

Re: Power is out

Post by paulmartin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:14 am

Thanks for the information, about finding the right plumber. It is interesting that commercial plumbing can actually be a little bit different than residential plumbing. Obviously, it's not too different because drains are drains, but there are, couple of key differences that makes it more advantageous to hire- the specific plumber, for your plumbing needs.

longtian006

Re: Power is out

Post by longtian006 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:04 am

I used it the very first time I got ich and it worked wonderfuly! I had a long finned skirted tettra that was just covered in it and I thought we would lose him, but he pulled through. I have been treating this round of ich for about 5 days and I just noticed it got a little worse, I had the same thing happen the last time, I do not know if this is normal for that Ich med or not... just my experiance. But it does say on the bottle that it could take up to 5 weeks to completely kill all the ich... seems like a long time huh?