Elemental copper?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

andyroo

Elemental copper?

Post by andyroo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:47 pm

Folks,
I've got a pond that is partially overhung by a big faux-thatched roof that is capped/covered in copper sheeting. Copper has been there since about 2002 and is well weathered/green. When it rains, water pours off this roof evenly in all directions, including into the pond.... A massive rain might put 5% roof-water into the pond/system.
a) is aged elemental copper a particular problem? Loaches and FW stingrays are on the stocking list.
b) if so, are there chelating or filtering agents (charcoal?) I can/should fit into the filter system?
Thanks,
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:17 pm

I don't know if run-off rain water would pick-up any traces of copper, but maybe standing water would. It probably depends on the acidity of the water. A copper test kit would probably tell you if it does. It sounds like the copper is oxidized, so perhaps the oxidation layer will prevent it from leaching also. I'm not sure though.

Activated carbon might not remove copper.
You'd need to use "E.D.T.A. (Ethylene Diamine Tetra Acidic Acid) to chelate it out of the water"
http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/Q&A/all_about_copper.html

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Ditto: Chelating materials will remove many metals, including copper. Activated carbon probably does not. There are also filter inserts that will remove copper. If you want to filter that water before it lands in the pond you might look into these products.

I would not trust water from that source.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:04 pm

Any possibility of putting a gutter on the part of the roof that would drain into the pond and directing the runoff somewhere else?
"Long May You Loach"

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:27 pm

Drain it into a rain barrel. Put a bulkhead fitting near the bottom and run the water through some Cupri-sorb.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:10 pm

By royal decree, there is no chance of doing any particular modifications to the roof, including guttering etc... Several reasons.
Filtering will have to be within the pond, not before.
No, not ideal. We may have to rethink the whole space. A garden, maybe.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

BotiaMaximus

Post by BotiaMaximus » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:07 pm

Can you do some testing of the runoff before you have to scrap the idea and see just what the levels are? maybe get a sample when it first starts raining and one during mid downpour and see if the levels are actually high enough to pose a threat. I'm thinking that just like with copper pipes that once they get that initial layer on them they are pretty harmless.

I'm wondering more about the possibility of the loaches ending up as stingray snacks???
"Long May You Loach"

rabidweasel09

Post by rabidweasel09 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:17 am

My neighbor used a sealant on a copper bay window roof, i have absolutely have no idea it would help in your situation, but it might be worth a glance.
HEYRKELLYDONTPEEONME.COM

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:38 am

I'll get some testing done as the rains start up again (dry season).
Re: stingray predation, yes, this is a worry. Stingray was only one of the stocking critters with predatory lilt. Depending on a lot of things I may have to forgo the lovely loaches.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Ber Yngvi

Post by Ber Yngvi » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:14 am

Elemental copper because is found in the periodic table which contains only elements and elements are pure substances because they contain the same type of atoms and molecules. whilst all the other substances are compounds.because contain different atoms and molecules.