loaches with ich

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Icewall42

Post by Icewall42 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:58 pm

Awww cute! Well, glad to hear that things are finally looking up.

glenna

ich resolution: the end of the story

Post by glenna » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:08 pm

Well, I thought I would provide this update.
As you know I have been working on getting rid of the ich in my 29 gallon tank for about a month now. For the past couple of weeks I have used full strength rid ich (at first I used half, then three quarter strength without success), temp of 82F and daily 25% wtaer changes.
I finally lost the smaller loach and the gourami. The gourami I expected, but the loach was a blow. She just got REALLY bad all of a sudden. It was a painful thing to see.
Since then things have gotten MUCH better. Out of desparation, I added a UV sterilizer. I was even thinking about salt, but was able to restrain myself - waiting to see if this intervention helped.
I have had NO ich that I can see for 4 days. I am still treating with full strength ich, but was thinking about Today being the last day. I am nervous to stop, but absolutely HATE to pout that poison in everyday.

I am not sure of it was the demise ofthe smaller, heavily infested loach, or the persistence of treatment, or the UV sterilzer that did it. Just thought I would share this, since it has worked for me.
At least, I hope it has. Only time will tell.

Thanks to everybody who gave me advise on treating my tank. Now I can hopefully start the process of rebuilding.
...and YES, I now have a quaranteen tank!
glenna

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:41 pm

Happy to hear things are getting better Glenna! I would continue treatment for 3 more days, make it a full week without visible parasites. You've made it this far, better to be safe IMO. Good luck with rebuilding!!

glenna

Post by glenna » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:36 am

Yeah, I suppose you are right.
One part of me just wants to plow ahead, add back in the plants and beautiful driftwood that I have. However, if I did all that and then realized the tank was still sick, well that would just be depressing.
Okay....three more days!
thanks again
glenna