My clown loach is very skinny, disease?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

fhm_usa

Post by fhm_usa » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:49 am

fhm_usa wrote:
natalia wrote:I have red a bit more on the subject. The problem here is that you do not know what exactly is wrong with this fish. So for this guy to have any chance of recovery you need to make some guesses as to what would be the likely cause for his condition. If your fish is active and still eating then the most likely cause is the nematode infestation. These are internal worms that attach in the intestine and suck up all nutrients, so even though the fish eats it is not getting nutrition. This is very likely your case although other problems can not be excluded without tests.

If that was my fish I would first treat for nematodes and if that does not help swithch to other drugs. Praziquantel (main ingredient of PraziPro) is useless against the nematodes, but does treat other worms. Metronidazole will treat flagellates but fish that have flagellates exibit different symptomes such as bloated belly and unusual swimming pattern.

Actually Jungle Labs has a medicated fish food that combines all three anti-parasite drugs: levamisole, praziquantel and metronidazole (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=12827). This should be available from a pet store and definitely online.

If you can not get it then try to get fenbendazole. You can order SafeGuard from DrsFoserSmith, at least I did few month ago. I searched the web and it looks like you can simply mix this drug in the food (for example soak blood worms in the drug solution) and feed this to your fish. Some people even recommend this over the levamisole treatment.
Which specific sageguard I saw different kinds of safeguard dewormer dogs,horse?...anyway with the medicated fish food I did not see the indrgnt levamisole on the web add only praz and metro? where can I see it? Thanks.
Found the levamisol already on the medicated fish food...which safeguard product for dog or horse and how many miligrams should I order?...Thanks.

fhm_usa

Post by fhm_usa » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:11 pm

fhm_usa wrote:
fhm_usa wrote:
natalia wrote:I have red a bit more on the subject. The problem here is that you do not know what exactly is wrong with this fish. So for this guy to have any chance of recovery you need to make some guesses as to what would be the likely cause for his condition. If your fish is active and still eating then the most likely cause is the nematode infestation. These are internal worms that attach in the intestine and suck up all nutrients, so even though the fish eats it is not getting nutrition. This is very likely your case although other problems can not be excluded without tests.

If that was my fish I would first treat for nematodes and if that does not help swithch to other drugs. Praziquantel (main ingredient of PraziPro) is useless against the nematodes, but does treat other worms. Metronidazole will treat flagellates but fish that have flagellates exibit different symptomes such as bloated belly and unusual swimming pattern.

Actually Jungle Labs has a medicated fish food that combines all three anti-parasite drugs: levamisole, praziquantel and metronidazole (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=12827). This should be available from a pet store and definitely online.

If you can not get it then try to get fenbendazole. You can order SafeGuard from DrsFoserSmith, at least I did few month ago. I searched the web and it looks like you can simply mix this drug in the food (for example soak blood worms in the drug solution) and feed this to your fish. Some people even recommend this over the levamisole treatment.
Which specific sageguard I saw different kinds of safeguard dewormer dogs,horse?...anyway with the medicated fish food I did not see the indrgnt levamisole on the web add only praz and metro? where can I see it? Thanks.
Found the levamisol already on the medicated fish food...which safeguard product for dog or horse and how many miligrams should I order?...Thanks.
And I also want to add that the medicated fish (Koi) is floating any suggestions on how to feed it too to CL's Thanks.