Ich treatment...to add salt or not to add salt...

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

tmcmullen

Ich treatment...to add salt or not to add salt...

Post by tmcmullen » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:40 am

I've been treating my 55gal aquarium for about 10 days now. I have the following types of fish:

rainbowfish - various types
clown loaches
yoyo loaches
dojo loach
kuhli loach

I've been treating daily with Aquarisol, and adding in CureIch every other day. I'm going with a lighter dosage of CureIch than what is recommended on the bottle because I've read that it can be dangerous at full strength. I currently have one tablespoon of salt per 5 gals. I removed carbon and perfomred a 25% water change 3 days after starting treatment, but still continued treatment.

The clowns still have several ich spots on them. I raised the temp to 82 degrees. I have the heater set higher, but it's not getting any warmer than 82 - maybe the heater isn't the right size for that aquarium?

What else should I do? Am I being impatient to think the spots should be gone by now? My clowns seem very happy. They're dancing, eating, but still scratching on the driftwood and gravel. The rest of the fish seem very happy also, and very active.

Thanks in advance for any help. I know this is a common question, and I've read the other posts, but I'm not comfortable adding another 26 Tablespoons of salt - it scares me.

Teri

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:47 pm

What else?
Vacuum the substrate daily, either in parts or all of it. Replace with clean treated water including the medication.
Don't have to increase the salt. Keep up with the treatment as is until the spots are completely gone for at least a week. When you're through don't let the temp go too low.

It can take up to two weeks (or even longer at 82F) to erradicate the parasite in all its stages. Be patient and thankful that the fish are still seeming healthy and active. :wink:
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

tmcmullen

Post by tmcmullen » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:17 pm

Should I invest in a better heater? My heater goes up to 88 degrees, which is where it is currently set, but it isn't heating the tank over 82. I bought a new thermometer because I thought something might be wrong with mine, but I'm pretty sure it's just an insufficient heater.

Otherwise I'll stay the course and pray that it doesn't get worse. :)

Tay690

Post by Tay690 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:22 pm

82 should be enough to get rid of it

i was 84 when I was doing salt + heat and i bumped it down to 82 and it's gone now...mind you it took a little longer but 84 seems to be the general high temp that i've seen

some people have done 86 that i've seen but I don't think that is necessary tbh...

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:07 pm

check the wattage on the heater and make sure it's adequate for your size tank. if the tank's in front of an AC unit or in a drafty location that could be part of the problem.

I have two ebo jaeger (sp?) heaters in my 55 - one at each end of the tank near both filters. temp is quite stable at 81F.
books. gotta love em!

tmcmullen

Post by tmcmullen » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:29 pm

Now one of my new Yoyo loaches is not well. He is very pale and is hiding under a rock and his body is rocking a little like he isn't controlling his movement as he rests there. I've seen him scratching on the rocks as if he has ich. What can I do to save this one?

tmcmullen

Post by tmcmullen » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:54 pm

One more thing, poor guy looks like he's trying to cough (it's the best way I can describe it). He opens his mouth and looks like he's coughing up a hairball then sits there wobbling back and forth.

tmcmullen

Post by tmcmullen » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:29 am

Update - this morning the little guy looks much better. There is a bit of skin floating around the tank - I wonder if he was going through a shed? Do Yoyos shed? I've seen my dojo shed his skin quite a few times, but I'm new to yoyos.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:40 pm

no, yoyos don't 'shed' per se. it could be that some of his slime coat was damaged and sloughed off, however. how is he doing now?
books. gotta love em!

tmcmullen

Post by tmcmullen » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:26 am

It could have been the Dojo who shed, but the yoyo definitely has had better color and has been acting fine since that evening. It was funny because he appeared drunk and unable to keep from swaying back and forth.

Even funnier - the two new yoyos I bought to keep my first one company stick together, but I rarely see them mingle with my first yoyo. Maybe in time they'll bond.

manthus

Post by manthus » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:35 am

When my 5 small clown loaches got infected with ich, I add aquarium salt and medication. But I felt the most important thing is to regularly vacuum the substrate and partial water change (50% for my case). It helps. I don't have to worry about temperature cos I live in tropical Asia.

And Greetings to everyone. :)

tmcmullen

Post by tmcmullen » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Well, it looks like the ich is gone. There are no more white spots on any of my fish (knock on wood). I'm still treating with Aquarisol for another week, and then I'll add the carbon. I've been vacuuming the substrate as often as I can (usually every few days) and I'm optomistic at this point.

Thanks to all for your help.

One last thing - if you are familiar with Yoyo loaches, can you tell me what conditions would make them gray-out? I have one who has gone pale on me twice now, but then he'll get his color back fairly quickly if there is food or anything that would excite him.

Thanks again!

Teri

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:49 pm

A couple more quick things on this:
a) wrap a towel or blanket around the tank to keep the heat in. Your heater is fine for lower/regular temp control, but not stiff enough to get higher temps. A insulator around the glass (blanket/towel) will make a lot of difference there.
b) all the fish you've listed (but for the Dojo) should be fine up to 29 or 30C for short periods- beyond lethal temp for Ich parasite. If you're going that high make sure the temp goes up slowly- over a couple of days at least.
Ich doesn't persist around here as tanks tend to be 28-29 from end of May through middle of November. I try not to buy/introduce fish outside of that time-window, and haven't seen Ich in a couple of years (knock wood).

Good to hear you kicked it.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"