Ich, Ich and more Ich

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

noklew

Ich, Ich and more Ich

Post by noklew » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:48 pm

First, thnk you to all the posters out there. Many vantage points on this nasty disease and how to deal with it. Based on all I have read, this is what worked for me.....so far. First, this started as a rwsult of me getting a 90g tank to combine my 16g and 29g tanks due to the need to scale back. Using water from both tanks as well as substrate from the 29g I was able to move all my fish over in 4 hour window mainting great levels on all key areas. It was not until I added a rope fish, and 2 more clowns that all my issues started. I went on vac for 4 days and used an auto fish feeder, which clearly over fed the tank. Nitrates went thru the roof. 1st a couple of Tetras passed, then my pleco got fungus and lastly my 7in Clown developed Ich. I began using Ich Attack as recommended by my LFS however, this did not work, and eventualy I lost the loach, my bud. After completing the Ich Attack treatment, I did a 40% water change and waited a week. All looked great. So, I went and acquired 3 new clowns. By day 2, 2 of them were flashing, day 3 my Black Knife was flashing, then the Tiger Barbs, it was not looking good. 2 Clowns were no covered and I feared the worst. With allot of research I finally made a decision to address this in this fashion. I did performed a 30 gal water change. I the treated with CopperSafe (under dosed at 70 gallons) after three days, the loaches were not energetic and still covered. I then treated with Maracide (underdosed at 60 gallons, raised the the temp to 89 degrees, and added 1 tbls per 5 gallons of water. Yesterday was day 3, I performed another 15 - 20 gallon WC and added round 2 of the Maracide, again underdosed at 60 gallons and added back in CopperSafe (for 12 gallons). Today, All my fish are back on track My on Platy who had been a bootom dweller is now back up and around. The Knif Fish is back to awesome, and all my clowns (3) are back to trolling and eating. I plan to keep the temp up for another 5 days, 2 days past the last treatment of Maracide on day 5 and will then lower to 84. After 30 days I will begin CopperSafe removal through water changes and adding carbon back into my Eheim. As an aquarist for only 2 years, this has been an exhausting adventure, but an educational one also. My 90 gal has a mix of Loaches, Barbs, Platies, Zebra and Giant Danio, Black Knife, Blue Pearl Gourami, Black Skirt Tetra and my favs......my Loaches. I know it sounds like a lot of fish, but the majority are small with ample room for all to get along. Thanks again to everyone for your posts and helping me progress against this nasty parasite we call ICH. Have a great day.