Dreaded Skinny

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Tracey

Dreaded Skinny

Post by Tracey » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:49 am

I have five total clown loaches and three of them I purchased about a month ago. They were treated at the petsore I got them from for parasites and ich on a preventative measure before they are put out in the tanks for sale. The smallest of the five is only about 2 inches. He is getting the the dreaded "skinny". Since hey have been treated for para sites before should I try a different approach. I have done some water changes and the only set back on my water quality is that is is quite hard and nitrates are bit above 0 but not much. no nitrites or ammonia and everything else test good for my clowns. Any suggestions? they are in a 75 gallon tank. Later Im upgrading to a 120 gal. but not soon I have a ten gal tank I can us as a quaranteen tank. I also would like to know what plants do you recommend for a clown loach tank. There tank mates are a rainbow shark and a black knife ghost fish, a yoyo loach and a red tail botia loach. Id have to say the yoyo loach has the most personality of all and the red tail botia is very illusive. Any suggestions on what to do about skinny will be appreciated. I cannot get levimisole anywhere. Id really like to save him he has the coolest markings. hoping to get a pic on here soon of him. He has the puzzle piece markings and on one side they connect. Its really odd.

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:06 am

The general concept in treating skinny disease is to altenate antibiotics with anitparasites.
Since they have had some antiparasite treatment, use an antibiotic that is specific to Gram negative organisms, or that will get a wide range of bacteria.
Maracyn + Maracyn II
Kanamycin
Others (there are quite a few out there)

Then repeat the antiparasite. Find out what they used at the store. Some wormers treat for only certain types of internal parasites. Get the other one, and treat for the type of worms the first one did not cover.

For example, Levamisol and Prazi Pro handle different sorts of worms, so I use this rotation:

Levamisole 3 days, then big water change.
Maracyn + Maracyn II 5 days then big water change
Prazi-Pro 3 days then big water change.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Tracey

Post by Tracey » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:04 pm

I have done a large water change only and the little guy appears to be putting back on a little weight. I did pick up some treatment. T treated the clowns for parasites when I bought them. I believe this little guy was stressed from nitrates. after the water chage he looks much better. I'll knock on wood just incase. I would like to know what live plants are good for a loach tank???? Thanks for tall the suggestions. I'll stock up my medicine cabinet.