A New fish, a dead fish

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

millsn

A New fish, a dead fish

Post by millsn » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:09 pm

Distraught. I bought two new clownloach to add to my three in the tank. I lost two to skinny disease before finding somethgin that would kill the worms.
One died after one night and a day in the tank. The other is fine, happy as larry.
When I saw the larger fish in the tank in the shop I actually said I didn't want him as he looked not quite right, not active enough. But he didn't look like he'd die practically overnight and he seemd ok (ish) in the evening. I got back today and he's static verging on rigid and breathing only very slowly on his last legs.
What can kill a fish so suddenly? My nitrite is zero, nitrates are 250ppm which I know is high but I can never get this figure down (I'm beginning to wonder whether the gravel itself can habour nitrate). Tank is on local tap water and the fish were bought locally, pH is around 7.5 (I'm colour blind so it's difficult to tell). I gave them over an hour acclimatising to both water and temp. Any suggestions?

millsn

Post by millsn » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:20 pm

Come to think of it they've been in the tank two days and two nights now.
Searching through I saw that others had given clowns mussels in the shell. I gave mine mussels last night. they loved them but it still seems strange that the others are fine and the new one died.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:27 pm

Nitrate of 250 ppm is toxic. Is this a typo? 25 ppm is not too bad, if there was an accidental 0 added there...

Tap water can have nitrate. Test your tap water.
While rock itself does not have nitrate (At least the rock usually used for aquariums is OK) the fallen waste and leftover food can contribute to a nitrate problem. Deep and thorough gravel vacs with every water change can help. If the nitrate really is 250 ppm then read a sticky here about Old Tank Syndrome. Very frequent, small water changes may be needed to correct this problem.

You can test the gravel itself by putting a handful in a glass of water and letting it sit for a few days or a week. If the tap water has nitrates then subtract this from whatever the test shows at the end of the week.

Nitrate tests can go bad. Does yours have a date of manufacture? Take a water sample from the tank and a tap water sample to a store that can test it as a double check.

Really bad being color blind and doing these tests :-( Most of them are color dependent. Hopefully they read in the range that your eyes are sensitive to!

A fish that 'just does not seem right' at the store can indeed die really fast when the stress of capture, bagging, transport and acclimation is added. :-(
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

millsn

Post by millsn » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:28 pm

thanks for the reply. the test is out of date but I've always had a nitrate problem and its up at 250 all right. and that after a recent (admittedly small) water change. I'm going for bigger one now.
Tap water is up around 20ppm from what I can see. I'm getting it tested tomorrow tap and tank.
I can't see the sticky you refer to though, can you point me in the right direction?

millsn

Post by millsn » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:11 pm

Found it now thanks. 10% change now complete, I'll get the zeolite tomorrow.

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:30 pm

Nitrate tests that get old will give you odd readings, so pick up a new one.

Keep up the water changes. With 20 ppm NO3 in the tap water it will be difficult to get the nitrate lower than that, but you can get it close.

Other ways to lower nitrogen (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) is to add plants. The best plants will be those that keep their leaves out of the water and grow fast. Golden Pothos is a house plant that is very good at this. I stick the roots in the tank, and hang the step on hooks around the walls. These plants are growing in laps around several rooms of the house.
Live plants in the tank can help a lot, too.
Above water or below, plants will grow best with plenty of light.

Happy fish keeping!

millsn

Post by millsn » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:30 am

Well the shop used three tests. One said I had 250ppm (stick test) but the two liquid tests said 20ppm or less. So it turns out I have no particular water quality problem. Which is a relief. I bought one opf the test kits that works and I'll proceed from there. I've just installed sand as a substrate and I'll let that settle now. Many thanks for your help

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:06 pm

That is a big relief!
Yes, nitrate under 20 ppm is a good level to feed the plants, and not stress the fish.

Happy fish keeping!