Clown Loach w/Pop eye

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

fhm_usa

Clown Loach w/Pop eye

Post by fhm_usa » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:15 am

Today I was surprise to notice one of my biggest CL his 2 eyes were kinda popping out anybody has expirienced on this? and have cured something like this?

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:33 am

First step is to do a few water changes. Often this conditions arises when the nitrate has been creeping up.
Other than that most antibiotics can help. Treat in a hospital tank, it will be smaller, so you need less medicine, and the sick fish will have some peace and quiet to heal. If you can get him to eat medicated food this is good. Sometimes they will eat it just fine, other times it helps if you soak it in garlic juice. Fish seem to like the flavor of the garlic.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

fhm_usa

Post by fhm_usa » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:22 pm

Diana wrote:First step is to do a few water changes. Often this conditions arises when the nitrate has been creeping up.
Other than that most antibiotics can help. Treat in a hospital tank, it will be smaller, so you need less medicine, and the sick fish will have some peace and quiet to heal. If you can get him to eat medicated food this is good. Sometimes they will eat it just fine, other times it helps if you soak it in garlic juice. Fish seem to like the flavor of the garlic.
What kind of antibiotic will be safe?

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:38 pm

There are antibiotics specially packaged for aquarium use. Active in water, dissolve properly, labeled for proper dosing.
Product availability varies. You will have to read the packaging locally.

Happy fish keeping!

fhm_usa

Post by fhm_usa » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:34 am

Diana wrote:There are antibiotics specially packaged for aquarium use. Active in water, dissolve properly, labeled for proper dosing.
Product availability varies. You will have to read the packaging locally.
What about Maracyn 2 is that an antibiotic and will it work?

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:02 am

I would combine Maracyn and Maracyn II. They are designed to work together against many different bacteria.

Happy fish keeping!

fhm_usa

Post by fhm_usa » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:50 am

Diana wrote:I would combine Maracyn and Maracyn II. They are designed to work together against many different bacteria.
Do you know how long I shoud treat it with that med and is that not a dangerous medicine for CL's? cause I know CL's are sensitive to some meds.

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:10 am

Dose and duration are on the packaging, but if I remember it is a 5-day schedule, followed by (2) 50% water changes back to back + a day of activated carbon. Then assess, and possibly repeat the treatment.
One of these 2 meds is light sensitive. Turn off the aquarium light (room light is OK)
One of them may reduce the oxygen in the tank. Increase the aeration for more than average gas exchange.
One of them may cloud the water. Do not worry about it.

Standard dosing is fine for Loaches.

Happy fish keeping!

fhm_usa

Post by fhm_usa » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Diana wrote:Dose and duration are on the packaging, but if I remember it is a 5-day schedule, followed by (2) 50% water changes back to back + a day of activated carbon. Then assess, and possibly repeat the treatment.
One of these 2 meds is light sensitive. Turn off the aquarium light (room light is OK)
One of them may reduce the oxygen in the tank. Increase the aeration for more than average gas exchange.
One of them may cloud the water. Do not worry about it.

Standard dosing is fine for Loaches.
Thanks Dianne but his doing fine now the only thing I have to deal with right now is his other friend I think his got the skinny disease and sadly it's hard to find the med for him here in the USA I don't know if there are any alternative medicine I can use instead of levamisol.