Urgent help- bad bad bad

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

55gal

Urgent help- bad bad bad

Post by 55gal » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:49 pm

I feel so verry sick right now.
My fish were playing so well and all was so good, i just did water change yerterday and the levels were ok before the change.
I was watching them and i go to walmart for a guick trip and i come home to find clowdy water and ALL my fish dead.!!!
The water was clear 1 hour ago.
WHAT THE HECK.???????
Did some elec. thing short out?
HELP, and waaaaaaa!
6 polkadot loaches, 6 blood fin tetras, 7 white cloud mtn. minnows, 3 gold barbs, 1 flying fox, and 1 pleco munching up my algae. oh yea i am expiermenting with sanils, humm.

55gal

Post by 55gal » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:52 pm

I just took a vid of the clown playing, 1 hour ago.
Crud.
Last edited by 55gal on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 polkadot loaches, 6 blood fin tetras, 7 white cloud mtn. minnows, 3 gold barbs, 1 flying fox, and 1 pleco munching up my algae. oh yea i am expiermenting with sanils, humm.

55gal

Post by 55gal » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:12 pm

Sorry for the many posts but i am in shock.
I just did a clorine test and it was through the roof.
What could cause such a spike and kill all the fish?

eastofthesun46

Post by eastofthesun46 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:13 pm

Make sure your catfish are not alive - they are very hardy and can survive almost anything!!

55gal

Post by 55gal » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:14 pm

I need advice also on what to do next. i know remove the fish and water and refill with declornated water but are my bio wheels ruined?

eastofthesun46

Post by eastofthesun46 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:24 pm

The bacteria will have been killed by the chlorine. If you have anything like stresszyme or filterstart to boost the bacteria levels again, then dose your tank. Also, if you've got any fish left, you'll probably want to do daily water changes until the bacteria levels get high enough.
It is very odd that your chlorine levels spiked like that - are there any water works going on nearby? Sometimes you will find that new pipes are flushed with chlorine to kill bacteria.

55gal

Post by 55gal » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:43 pm

Not that i know of. I used decloranator when i did my water change 2 days ago.
They looked fine till 1 hour before the end.

eastofthesun46

Post by eastofthesun46 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:03 pm

I hate to say this in case I turn you against them, but... got any kids?

Did any fish survive?

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:06 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Nitrospiros bacteria is the right species to repopulate the filter. Don't wast money on anything else.
Tetra Safe Start and Dr. Tim's One and Only are the brand names that contain the right bacteria.

It does sound like there was a lot more chlorine in the water than normal.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

55gal

Post by 55gal » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:45 pm

But what could cause it?

I just paid FULL attention to my clorine test - the level is 0.1 or so how bad is that? could that kill all the fish, or do i need to look elsewhere?

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:04 am

Check the label on the dechlor. I think it should be able to handle that level of chlorine, with just a regular dose.

Have you tested the water for everything else? Please post all the test results.

Chlorine (or chloramine) will indeed kill fish this fast. Within an hour of a water change without dechlor the fish can die. If the water company had more chlorine in the water than average (such as suggested above, some pipe work going on nearby) then the level will be more than the dechlor could handle. Did the water smell like chlorine as you were running the tap?

Testing right away can show high levels of chlorine.
Testing the next day might show the level as low, in the safe range. (at least, low enough that the dechlor could have done its job) Chlorine leaves the water when the water is warm and being circulated as through a filter, power head or a bubbler. Within 24 hours enough chlorine can out gas that the level will test that low, even if it had been at dangerous levels the day before.
Chloramine does not leave the water this fast. If your water company treats with chlorine, then yes, the test results are consistent. High levels of chlorine, as per the first test, could have killed the fish. Then a re-test a day or two later can indeed show a low level.
Chloramine takes longer to leave the water, and may have killed the fish, but the level will test higher for longer.

Happy fish keeping!

55gal

Post by 55gal » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:56 pm

The water from the tap seemed fine to me. I have Top Fin declor. that is good for chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals.
The declor. is only 3-4 months old and if anything i added a little to much declor.
And if it was too much chlor. in the water it would have killed sooner than 48 hours later.

so...
Before water change...
amonia - 0
nitrites - 0.05
chlorine not tested
after water change...
amonia - 0
nitrites - 0
chlorine - .1 or higher

that is what i know now
waiting on the police to report it.
Thanks for all the help and support.

glenna

so sorry

Post by glenna » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:33 pm

This is a HEART breaking. I am very sorry for your loss.
It sounds like you have taken very good care of your tank and fish. How long have you had them before this happened?
Such a dramatic and quick change is a punch in the stomach, the "before numbers" make it sound like this was not anything YOU did... ( of course, I am relatively new to the hobby but WOW!!!!)
Have you learned anything else that would have caused this tragedy?
With your diligence, your tank will recover.
glenna

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:14 pm

You are right, chlorine from a water change would have affected the fish much sooner than 48 hours. More like half an hour to an hour, depending on the level.

Happy fish keeping!

55gal

Post by 55gal » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:31 pm

Thank you all for you concern. I cleaned and refilled the tank today.
I am running the filters but not the current, that way everything moves twards and into the filters. then i plan to drain the water and start for real. I am off to the store to buy a few things and i should be starting anew later today.
I enjoyed my tank for almost 2 years before this tragety. I hope for at least 50 this time.