Mollies Pop Eye/swiming at an angle

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

StarFire

Mollies Pop Eye/swiming at an angle

Post by StarFire » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:42 pm

There are two fish in question here both are female mollies. They are in a 10 gallon tank that has not cycled. I was not informed that you could cycle a tank without fish. If I had know I would have waited. I am having a hard time controling the ammonia in the tank, it spikes easily. I am doing big water changes almost every day. Right now it is currently at 1 i will be doing a change in a few hours before i go to work. All other readings are at 0 and my ph is 7.6.

The first one seems to have devoloped pop-eye on one of her eyes. I did recently in the last few days add a bubblier to the tank and one of the things i that learned that can cause this is an imbalance of gas in the water compared to the fish. Also i learned that it could be caused by a fight. She is the dominate molly in the tank of 3 mollies so that could have happened. I know there is also a chance of bacterial infection but i am not sure what medicine to get. She is swiiming around fine just has the huge eye now. This was not present when i left for my movie about 12 hours earlier.

:?: What is the most likely cause?
:?: What should I do to try to keep her alive?

The other fish sometimes swims at a 45 degree angle. She does not always do it but it is not infrequent. She also sometimes swims and is spinning in circles. She is very erratic in her swim pattern.

:?: What do you think is wrong with her?
:?: What should I do to help her?

I appreciate any help anyone can give me. I dotn want my fish to suffer anymore then they already have. I have getting a cycled filter on Sunday from a friend so that should greatly help them. They have not eaten in the last two days cause i wanted to drop the ammonia.

MTS

Post by MTS » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:59 pm

Often pop eye will often resolve itself with clean water. Water changes and getting the tank cycled are your first course of action which you seem to be taking. I hope you are also using a good dechlorinator. Adding a bit of aquarium salt (follow directions) should also help.

StarFire

Post by StarFire » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:11 pm

The fish that is swimming at an angle is now spinning in place frequently. I am really concerned about her. I feed the fish and they both are eating fine. the one with pop eye took a minute to see the food but she still went after it when she saw it.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:10 pm

Mollies are very tolerant of salt, so I would add some salt to this tank. As much as 2-3 tablespoons, added over a couple of days. Say 1 tablespoon per day. Dissolve it in water, then pour the water into the tank a little at a time over a few hours.

Do larger water changes. Keep the ammonia <.25 ppm
If it reads 1 ppm now, then I would do 2 x 90% now, then check again when you get home, perhaps do another one, perhaps 2. Keep doing daily water changes to keep:
Ammonia < .25 ppm
Nitrite < 1 ppm

Mollies are fish for hard, alkaline water. Unfortunately, when the pH is high ammonia is in the more toxic form, and you really need to work to keep it low.

At this point I think the fishes' symptoms are due to ammonia poisoning.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

StarFire

Post by StarFire » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Last night when i changed the water the ammonia was at .25. This morning I tested it was at .5. I did the two 90% water changes. I just tested It is yellow but not a bright yellow. But it is not the greenish yellow of the .25 on my card. BTW I am using liquid measure I was told it was better then sticks. So I assume my water is between 0-.25. I am letting the salt desolve (1 tablespoon) into two cups of water and once it has done that i will start adding it into the tank very slowly. I figure i will add two tablespoons of salt water every 15 mins or so.

:?: I will be out of town tomorrow so i will be unable to add the salt like this tomorrow. What do you suggest I do to get them the salt tomorrow? Monday will not be a problem.

Molly with pop-eye is behaving fine just has the eye issue. Fish wouthout any problems is still behaving normally. Spinning one is still spinning a bunch more so then yesterday but i just changed the water so maybe she will calm down some. Will be posting something another post in a minute for my other tank.

Thanks so much for all the help!!!!!