I think my sister in-law has a dying Oscar :(

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jyynx

I think my sister in-law has a dying Oscar :(

Post by Jyynx » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:21 pm

She has had this Oscar for about 6 years. She is about a foot long and refuses to eat anything but Spirulina sticks. She has tried feeder goldfish, guppies, trout pellets, bottom feeder pellets, shrimp pellets, frozen food....you name it, and all she will eat is the Spirulina sticks.

Now the Oscar has this bubble like thing by her anus, looks bloated and is breathing heavily. She won't eat and looks like she is suffering. We think it's bloat and my siter in-law has called various fish stores (I'm sure exactly what medicine she is using...) and it has been a week and the Oscar doesn't look any better.

Any idea what she is suffering from? What kind of things would help? My sister-in law is freaking out and doesn't know what else to do. I feel so bad for the Oscar :(

She thinks that the Oscar won't make it and is thinking of euthanasia ... would clove oil do it; how much would be required for a fish that big?

:(

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:30 pm

I do not know what is wrong with the Oscar.

Clove oil:
Use a container that is big enough for the fish to fit comfortably, but a small volume of water so you do not need a lot of clove oil.
Read the information here, about this product. It can be used at different concentrations depending on the reason for sedating the fish. Over using it, stronger concentrations, or leaving the fish in for longer can kill the fish.
Monitor the fish and watch for gill activity. When the fish is no longer breathing it is probably dead.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/p ... atid=12271
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!