Fish food

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Angelfish12

Fish food

Post by Angelfish12 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:25 pm

What kind of fruits and vegtables can i give my fish as a treat?

What do you give your fish?

Thanks,

Kelly

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:18 pm

It seems you can feed whatever they'll eat, pretty much.
Avoid juicy or crumbly things as they'll tend to foul the water.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:42 pm

It is not a treat it is a main part of their diet.

I feed just about every sort of vegetable and many fruits that we eat.

Raw: Softest things like melon, strawberry, orange, cucumber and leaf lettuce

Blanch: Slightly firmer things like most green leaves (kale, romaine...) zucchini and other summer squash. Most frozen foods.
Peas: pop them out of their skin.
Green Beans: Slice lengthwise. Most fish will eat the tender inside first.

Longer cooking: Yam, sweet potato, harder squash like butternut, pumpkin. Dry cooking such as baking in the oven, or microwaving with just a little water will keep these firm enough not to fall apart in the tank. Boiling seems to make these mushy, they do not hold together well.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Bersh

Post by Bersh » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:01 pm

Thanks Diana well tell me one thing is it good for the fish probably i think that fishes wont digest these things there should be some specific feed for them????

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:59 pm

For cucumber and melons I scoop out seeds first, so I am not fishing them from the tank. The fish love the fruits and veggies. My plecos have to eat zucchini. THey are much too big for algae wafers, although I throw in a few of those two. I go through a kilo of Hikari algae wafers in 3 months. I go through about 2 zucchinis a week.

I am raising a horde of BN (Bristlenose) babies, and I am going through copius ammounts of algae wafers and zucchini. I have about 75 babies.

I think for specific fish and what they like, it depends on the fish and the species. It took a while for my fish to get used to zucchini and they are still not sure about beans. My plecos practically beg for zucchini.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:36 pm

Bersh,
Marine fish have trouble with a lot of terrestrial foods such as starches and root veggies as these things don't occur in the ocean.
Fresh-water fish eat seeds & fruit & grasses and all sorts of terrestrial stuff as the land is so close to (and often flooded by) the water, though things like breads are probably still to be avoided.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"