Possible Popeye?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

KRoth

Possible Popeye?

Post by KRoth » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:52 am

Looks like my South American Leaf Fish has come up with a case of popeye. It is a new addition to my 40 Gal and has been with me for about a month now. Earlier in the week it was eating when food was availible and definately not starved and hiding like it always does amongst the plants. Last night I noticed it in the middle of the tank where plants are few and upon a closer look of its left eye I noticed it was glossy white and bulging. This morning I found the leaf fish on the bottom of the tank but breathing. I then quarantined the fish in my 5.5 Gal tank and applied a vitamin booster and a generic antibotic that treats popeye. I still think the prognosis is good because he responds by moving slowly away when I am near his quarentine tank. Anyone had similar experience or ideas :shock:

KRoth

Post by KRoth » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:10 pm

Unfortunately he did die but I am happy to report his replacement is doing exceptionally well

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:18 pm

Sorry to hear he died. Unfortunately by the time a fish is on the bottom, there may be more going on than what you see, internal damage from infection or other issues and saving that fish is rare.

Keep up the water changes to keep the nitrates low. This will also reduce the bacterial count in the water. So the fish are healthier because of low nitrates, and there are fewer bacteria to infect them.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!