Kordon Ich Attack

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

vealboy

Kordon Ich Attack

Post by vealboy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:09 pm

So I am currently treating for Ich, and instead of using malachite green I am using Kordon Ich Attack. I learned about this stuff on a Cichlid Forum where I am a member and I wanted to know if anyone here uses this stuff instead of other Ich treatments.

I think I like the fact the stuff is organic, and may be easier on the tank inhabitants, but is it as effective?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:09 pm

I haven't used this product. It may help if someone with more experience knows what type of fish you are treating and if you are treating in a Quarantine tank or in your main tank?

Did you read the ick treatment article? It is very good about the life cycle of Ick and how to destroy it.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:49 pm

I have heard more negatives than positives about this product. Basically it did not work for the people that posted about it.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:53 pm

I think I once read at the Kordon website that their organic ich treatments work best as a prophylactic treatments against ich.

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:14 pm

starsplitter7 wrote:I haven't used this product. It may help if someone with more experience knows what type of fish you are treating and if you are treating in a Quarantine tank or in your main tank?

Did you read the ick treatment article? It is very good about the life cycle of Ick and how to destroy it.
In my planted 55g community tank I'm treating:
4 juvenille clowns (all less than 6")
1 guianacara sphenozona (South American eartheater cichlid about 5" long)
1 female gold gourami (about 6")
1 common pleco (about 6.5")
2 male red-eye tetra (about 2-3")

The last Ich out break was in May, after treating with malachite green and increased water temps and copius gravel cleanings and water changes, I lost 3 fish (1 clown, 1 neon tetra, 1 male gold gourami). I think I treated for 15 days. Only things I added to the tank were plants that had been quarantined.

My guess is that I didn't kill it all, and it resurged in July, where I treated briefly w malachite green, and now have switched to this new stuff.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:21 pm

Have you had any stresses in the tank? It seems that much of the research I have read, states that ick exists in most tanks, but that it pops out in times of stress.

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:41 pm

chefkeith wrote:I think I once read at the Kordon website that their organic ich treatments work best as a prophylactic treatments against ich.
http://www.novalek.com/kordon/ich_attack/index.htm

Hi Chef!

Yes, you are right it does work that way, but I think if I read this right, it can also be used to treat Ich after it does get started. Anyway, I have been dosing twice a day 25ML when I wake up, and another 25ML when I get home from work. I also have increased the temp of the water, and will do another WC tomorrow.

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:45 pm

starsplitter7 wrote:Have you had any stresses in the tank? It seems that much of the research I have read, states that ick exists in most tanks, but that it pops out in times of stress.
Ummmm...not anything unusual. I was getting ready to replace the clown I lost in May/June when I spotted (pun intended) more Ich. Everything else has been pretty normal.

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:50 pm

Diana wrote:I have heard more negatives than positives about this product. Basically it did not work for the people that posted about it.
I hope to the first! :D

I am on my second bottle of the stuff. I haven't seen any white spots on my clowns and my cichlid is white, so I can't see any spots on it either. It has been almost a week since I have seen spots. I am just going to continue to treat the water until I run out of the stuff. Can't seem to hurt since it is organic and can be used as a preventative.

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:58 pm

OK, so my experience continues with Kordon Ich Attack...

I am just about through my second bottle of the stuff, and have been feeling pretty good about things. Until yesterday. I was sitting here at my desk, with laptop doing some paperwork. I tossed a couple bits of broccoli in to my tank, and decided to watch the feeding frenzy.

I sat, and I sat and no frenzy, but then I did notice my white cichlid make a slow rotation sideways, and he began flashing...ugh. Since there were no other tankmates nearby, this was not a standard show of dominance, but was a sign that the Ich lives. I may be abandoning Kordon's Ich Attack for Malachite Green.

I must be the worst fish keeper ever.

I am considering a new tactic in addition to the widely accepted tactics, and I want to get some feedback on it before I do it. I am considering removing the gravel substrate while I treat for Ich. I think that with no place for Ich to hide in the substrate I can more effectively treat all the water, and ensure all the water is the same temp.

So what are the pros and cons of this idea?

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:00 pm

I wish I knew what to tell you to help. I would do lots of vacuums and water changes. Look for products safe for scaleless fish, so the clowns will survive. Increase the oxygen in the water to help the fish feel better.

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:42 pm

Thanks Starsplitter. I really need to fix this before I go out of town at the end of the month. I also know that while I have had the water warm (83-84F), it needs to be 86F to really help kill off the parasite. I know that in order to ensure the water in the gravel is warm enough, I should have the heat set to 90. I was just thinking that if I remove the gravel, I can set the heat to less than 90. Was also thinking I could soak the gravel in a malachite green solution, and then replace the gravel after a few days.

I have made some efforts to increase the oxygen with two air stones, a powerhead to create ripples on the water surface, and allow water level in the tank to be a little lower, allowing water from my HOB filter to fall into the tank.

I also think that Kordon's product is not that effective, I am a little disappointed.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:53 pm

Be careful that you don't accidentally destroy your biofilter/film in the process. You don't want to be flung into a recycling of the tank. I did that once during treatment. Do you have another filter running on another tank so you can use it if you crash your tank? I wouldn't remove the gravel. I would just vacuum it a lot and change water every day.

vealboy

Post by vealboy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:42 pm

starsplitter7 wrote:Be careful that you don't accidentally destroy your biofilter/film in the process. You don't want to be flung into a recycling of the tank. I did that once during treatment. Do you have another filter running on another tank so you can use it if you crash your tank? I wouldn't remove the gravel. I would just vacuum it a lot and change water every day.
Well I never thought of that, thanks for that insight. I REALLY don't want to subject my fish to a filter crash and recycle situation. OK so I guess instead I will take out the large rocks and clean them, but leave the substrate in tact.

So first, I should re-read the Ich article to make sure I haven't missed anything, and then gravel vac, WC and treat w malachite green.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Are you seeing new ich spots? Some strains of ich are really tough to eradicate no matter what medication you use.