Dojo's not eating - help

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

KLKelly

Dojo's not eating - help

Post by KLKelly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi guys,

Its been a long time since I posted here. I lost my favourite weather loach last night. I had her three years. I think she might have been injured. The side of her abdomen was swollen and some petichia near her tailfin. She has been blind almost since I had her but had no issues what so ever. She had Popeye shortly after I bought her very skinny and in the 30 day QT period (20 gallon tank). Her tank mate didn't survive.

I have two fantail goldfish along with two other dojo loaches in a 54 gallon tank with 2 Aquaclear 110s on it. Water is changed at 75% per week (stable PH, no ammonia or nitrites, using well water). No medications added but praziquantel in the past two weeks (goldfish have been fin flicking - I have a microscope so I plan on doing a definitive scope). No symptoms it seems in the dojos except for no interest in food. They aren't thin.

I haven't been watching the loaches as closely as I should until I lost her last night. I normally feed after lights out so that the loaches can get some of the food and the goldfish don't find it all quickly. I feed a mix of homemade gel food, and frozen food (mysis shrimp, blood worms, peas as a treat).

Temp is 73 (consistent via a heater to prevent fluctuations with house temp at night).

Do you guys have any suggestions at all. I will be watching closer.

These fish mean a lot to me.

Thanks.

Karrie

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:05 pm

I would have guessed some kind of internal parasite. I think it's very odd for Dojo loaches to be ill. I have kept three for 6-7yrs and never had any problems apart from escapees.

If you haven't had them very long, could it possibly be your source? Where are you getting them from?
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

KLKelly

Post by KLKelly » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:14 pm

Thank you. I've had the two remaining ones for a year and a half. I added them to be company for the one I lost. I didn't add any before then because I was worried she'd be unable to get food being she was blind.

Nothings been added to the tank and each of my tanks has its own gravel vac (python attachment for draining only - refill via jugs 50G aerated water bin filled 24 hours before, aerated and heated 24 hours before a water change to match PH and temp to tank water).

I do my best to wash my hands before putting my hands in any tank.

If it is a parasite and they aren't eating. I was debating about doing a 1/2 dose of rid ich which is a combo of formalin and malachite green prior to finding her near death last night. I was just worried about the loaches and such a strong medication. I can't get quick cure anywhere near me and I don't trust the formalin sold in clear bottles exposed to light.

What would you recommend?

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:41 am

When I said internal parasite before, I meant internal bacteria, sorry about that :oops:

There could be few reasons for their behaviour. The well water might be a problem, there maybe all kinds of leachate in your water, but I suspect that if it was an issue, the goldfish would be suffering too. As I said before it might be where you are buying the loaches from, especially if you are getting them from the same place. It also could be that your blind loach was just sickly, not very strong or old. Was she quite large?

Are any of your fish showing any other symptoms? including the loaches.
Are they sluggish? Pale?
Do you have plenty of caves for your loaches to hide?

This seems like a bit of a mystery to me :? I would try Interpet Internal Bacteria NO.9, if its available to you. I have had great success with the Interpet range but I know it's not the same with everyone.
Hope they're ok, let me know.
I love Dojos too
Rachel
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

KLKelly

Post by KLKelly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:38 pm

Thanks. I was assuming parasite because of the intermittent flashing in the two goldfish.

Both weather loaches ate some blood worms and mysis shrimp today.

One of them is breathing a bit fast though.

I have to decide what to do - do I risk a harsh treatment like 1/2 strength ridich or an antibacterial treatment like Maracyn Plus. They aren't showing other signs - no bloating, dropsy, redness, cloudy eyes clamped fins or anything besides not eating yesterday and now the breathing.

They have a ton of hiding spaces and caves.

I got these two from walmart as tiny little things about a year and a half ago. THey were closing their fish section and I bought the last three fish in the store (tancho lionhead and the two weather loaches). The other loach was bought from Superpet and was extremely skinny but recovered nicely with antibiotic treatment for popeye.

They've tripled in size but aren't fat like some weather loaches I've seen on the web.

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Sometimes the chemistry of the well water can change, especially with heavy rains that might leach something into the aquifer the well is using.

Are all the water tests the same and stable? GH, KH, pH, TDS... as well as the nitrogens?

Flicking or flashing is a sign of irritation, and all fish will do this once in a while, but when you notice that they are doing this it is a reason to be concerned. Some of the things that cause the fish to itch also irritate the gills, so the breathing issue might be related.

Water chemistry: salt, ammonia, other. Some things we do not test for, but might show up in a well in an agricultural area.

External parasites: Ich, Velvet, fish lice, other. Some are so small you might not see them at first. As the parasites multiply you might see them.

As for which, if anything, to use at this point, it is hard to say. If you can rule out water chemistry issues, then I think the flashing points more in the direction of parasites, rather than bacterial.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

KLKelly

Post by KLKelly » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:11 pm

Thanks Diana, I can't rule out water chemistry specifically. I am going to go back to using reconstituted RO water I think. I have a UV unit but it causes nitrItes to be present and I didn't like having to keep salt in the tank. I think this might be the lesser of two evils.

I have a problem with my water that no one can solve. Even with the RO water. Something isn't removed which is converted to nitrate - I'm thinking maybe sulpher bacteria or iron bacteria. It doesn't show up until it hits the biofilter and then nitrates skyrocket over the next couple days. I bought the RO unit to help solve this but it didn't work. I aerate the water to precipitate out sulpher.

I will run all the tests on the well water again tonight, as well as the tank.

I have a microscope but scoping weather loach poop isn't possible. I find a lot of stuff and 90% isn't ever identifiable to my untrained eye. I could identify anything obvious if I found flukes, flagellates, epistylus, etc. So I'll see on Saturday (have to buy slide covers) what I can find with the goldfish.

The flashing/darting isn't constant at all - intermittent but enough to be on the radar.

Thanks Guys.

Flotsam&1Jetsom

Post by Flotsam&1Jetsom » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:40 am

I don't think I would risk a harsh treatment just yet. If they are eating a little bit then maybe you should wait a little while, I'd wait a week (maybe even 2), to see if things get any worse or better. I wouldn't want to risk it. If they still aren't eating and the goldfish are still flashing a lot, then I would go with the parasite treatment.

Sorry that I can't be of more help and I hope they starting feeding soon.

Let me know how it goes :)
Do You Like Fish Sticks?

KLKelly

Post by KLKelly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:44 am

Ok I'll focus on the water for now and put back on the uv filter.

Thanks guys.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:01 pm

Live plants will remove a lot of things from the water, including odd toxins. I know they are hard to keep with Golds, but try these:

House plants such as Golden Pothos, roots in the water, stem and leaves in the air. Near a window for good light.

Anubias, Java Fern, Bolbitis in the tank: Tough plants that Golds seem to leave alone.

You might also work up a more complex pre-treatment system:
1) Run the water through RO
2) Add minerals, and certain plant fertilizers.
3) Put this water into a *bucket or whatever works with a small pump.
Allow house plants to grow in this for at least a week, then use the water for a water change.

You might try using the UV on the tank after the water has been treated this way. Perhaps the plants will remove enough of the mineral (or whatever) that is causing the problems.

*The 'bucket or whatever' is a hydroponic set up. One way that I am using it is with a window box about 2' long. Water is pumped into one end, and flows out the other. There is Philodendron scandens growing in lava rock in this. (Mine is set up over an aquarium)
The simplest set up is just a 5 gallon bucket with an air bubbler or tabletop fountain pump. Just enough to keep the water moving. Golden Pothos growing in the water.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!