Tail splitting

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ahmandi2

Tail splitting

Post by ahmandi2 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:55 am

Hi two of our dojo's have splits in their tails. I'm wondering whether it sounds like a fish on fish issue or more a health thing....been battle ich forever....big tank move the other day.....everyone seems ok, though, exept for the splits...
The most aggressive things in the tank are: A bn Pleco and ONE spotted danio. The loaches used to be quite a bit more cautious around the Pleco; but recently i've seen numerous face to face encounters between them, always ending in Mr. Plecostomoose doing his "get outta here!" body/fin slap, and the loach takes off.
Could Mr. P's bristles do this to a dojo's fins?
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

starsplitter7

Re: Tail splitting

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:48 am

It's certainly not your BN's bristles. They are soft. I can't believe your BN has such an attitude. None of my BN are aggressive, although they push and shove among themselves. Mostly pushing sideways or with their noses. I would be more likely to suspect the Danio. But it could also be water quality. That is one of the signs your water quality is going bad -- fins will deteriorate. The fins should heal up just fine when your water quality is good.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:35 am

Both are possibilities, aggression between fish might not cause direct damage, but in turning to flee the Dojos might be damaging their tails on something in the tank.
While the head adornments are soft, BN and other cats have spines, often in their pectoral and dorsal fins. Usually used for poking, not ripping. That quick action that you are interpreting as 'Get out of here' might involve some attack with the spines. BNs also have some nasty cheek spines, but I am not sure they would inflict the damage you describe.
Poor water quality, perhaps nitrates, but also long term medication can lead to fin damage, too.

There are different strains of Ich, and some seem to hang in there for a long time. It might be worth while separating the fish according to what treatment they are best able to handle, if that is an option.
A bare bottom tank with just a few cave-rocks and daily vacuuming can clear Ich with no medication.
Heat and salt are a good treatment, if the fish can handle high temperatures and salt. This would not be the treatment of choice for cool water fish like Dojos. Danios or Bristlenose Plecs.
Rid Ich seems a milder formulation of 2 medicines that work better together than separately, and can be dosed in a way that is generally pretty safe for these fish. Still, if the treatment is going on for a long time I do not know what the cumulative effect might be.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

ahmandi2

Post by ahmandi2 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:57 pm

I guess it could be something in the water quality that I don't know about. The regular parameters (nitrates nitrites etc) are all PERFECT, we do great water changes and have cut WAYYY back on feeding, plus the tank is planted, so we are finding the tank in pristine quality most of the time. :)
I wonder if it could be from the treatment of ich itself. I don't know, I guess we'll see, treatment is over now (for this bout). Anything to make the fins heal better? Melafix?
Thanks!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:28 pm

Melafix can work, but I've had fish go into shock the moment it hits the tank, and I had to pull the affected fish you. I would watch your fish very carefully when you put the melafix in to see if there is an adverse reaction.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:20 pm

I have seen good results from Melafix, but note the cautions.
I have not seen that sort of reaction.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:14 pm

It only happened with compromised fish, and maybe there was something worng with my batch of Melafix. I love the smell of the stuff. :)

ahmandi2

Post by ahmandi2 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:54 pm

LoL I love the smell too. My fish have not had any adverse reaction to it, so I think I'll just treat with that for the full recommended length of time.