She passed... what do I do for her buddy? (Update)

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

kaffinated

She passed... what do I do for her buddy? (Update)

Post by kaffinated » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:49 pm

the poor guy is FRANTIC. i've never seen him so agitated. Do I give him time to adjust or do I get him a few more friends tomorrow? There are others in the tank but he's now the only dojo.... God it's like we lost a member of the family.........
Last edited by kaffinated on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

SgtMajWiggles

Re: She passed... what do I do for her buddy?

Post by SgtMajWiggles » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:25 am

Aw, I'm sorry to hear!

kaffinated

Post by kaffinated » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:20 pm

Well, we woke up this morning and the little guy was just miserable, moping around the tank, searching for her here and there, etc. and we decided we HAD to get him new friends. Long story short my fiance surprised me and took me to this super awesome petstore near Brewster NY that has just amazing fish and really intelligent staff. Walking in with the intention of getting just two dojos for our buddy we ended up leaving with two dojos (one of whom he's already BEST friends with already and the other who's decided the plants are all hers and they're her personal jungle gym) and their three remaining baby horseface loaches. (The poor guys were on ROCKS - I couldn't just LEAVE them there, could I, when they'd have a nice sandy bottom at home with us?? *grin*) Then we headed to upgrade the heater I'd gotten recently at Petsmart for the 55 gallon and fell in love with their remaining chocolate khulis (we think they're pangio pangias), and of course they had to come home with us too... and those guys are ALL over the tank, even midground... it's awesome!!. Then, we stopped into our lfs to pick up a few new plants cause all ours had perished.

Came home, did a quick water change, added the plants and all the new friends and our loaches are INSANE! Everyone's been having a blast together and the botia angelis is more active with all the plants we have now than I've ever seen him. He'll usually dance in the front of the tank for us for hours but to see him just roaming the tank is amazing! We've literally been sitting here with most of the lights off just watching the tank and giggling for HOURS now... So yeah, I'd say getting our big guy some new friends DEFINATELY helped him get over his loss (and ours as well....).... I'll try to post some pics soon...

And in the next couple weeks we'll be cycling the new tank and getting everything ready... Oh how much fun!!!

Goodness I'm a loach addict.....

SgtMajWiggles

Post by SgtMajWiggles » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:29 am

Yeah, you are - and you're not alone! Sounds like a delicious day of loachiness.

kaffinated

Re: what do I do for her buddy? (Update)

Post by kaffinated » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:32 am

Oh my goodness!!! So everyone settled in, the plants have all opened up really nicely and we woke up this am to a seething mass of loaches in the corner of our tank which we've seen often but not like THIS. Know how Khuli's will pick a corner and kinda dogpile/wiggle/swim in the current? Picture: One BIG dojo, two baby dojo's, some pangio Khulis (who've rarely come out lately), our baby AND adult angelis botia (who will dance for us but have never played in the dogpile, our chocolate khulis, our one psycho albino catfish AND our algae eaters (who ended up back with us but who I swear now think they're loaches (long story about them but that's for another time)). This tank hasn't had this much fun in forever. And when I tell you my fiance and I literally sat and did nothing but watch the tank for at LEAST 6 hours last night with no lights on, some music and giggled our butts off...

And I'm amazed at how quickly our two baby dojos have shown their own personalities! One LOVES LOVES LOVES my plants - she's been perched among our java moss on this one piece of wood we have (or playing among the others as her personal jungle gym) and the other is often almost attached to our older buddy. Once I put the lights on later I'll try to get some pics, it's just priceless...

and one of these days I'll have to tell you guys the story of our chocolate Khuli who loves playing "dead fish," it's a trip (and he's taught it to others!!)...

Thanks for listening to me gush, aside from my fiance, everyone else looks at me and just goes "umm.. they're FISH."
And I'm like "ummm... no, they're FAMILY!!!"

kaffinated

Re: She passed... what do I do for her buddy? (Update)

Post by kaffinated » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:28 pm

Pooh's actually been fine lately, he was just a bit "off" that day...