Dead cardinals, and a kuli

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ahmandi2

Dead cardinals, and a kuli

Post by ahmandi2 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:11 pm

I lost 8 cardinals over the weekend. And a striped kuhli. Heartbreaking.
Now I see that one of our golden dojos' tail is COMPLETELY eaten/rotting away. She was on her side on a nest of plants at the top of the aquarium; I saw her and she's now in a bucket with the two other dojos', who seem ok so far.
Since we've had a rather nasty case of fin rot the past few months, I am thinking it is this. No idea what killed the tetras, or the kuhli. There was no damage to any of the bodies.
Just hoping not to lose another loach. Still have 2 or three kuhlis in the tank.
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

Crissyloach

Re: Dead cardinals, and a kuli

Post by Crissyloach » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:07 pm

How many fish are left in the tank? Honest, I think it might be worth it to QT them, and well you are, start the tank all over if there are only a couple fish. Sure it breaks your cycle, but after all of this...Then again...

Current betta count...Too many. :P

Ashleigh

Re: Dead cardinals, and a kuli

Post by Ashleigh » Wed May 18, 2011 5:23 am

Have you done a test on your water recently? What values are you getting for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Personally I would be treating the entire tank not just quarantine as you have unexplained losses in the tankif your water quailty comes back within 'normal' range. You say there was no damage to the bodies of the other fish - were there any red marks, gills looking inflamed, fish acting 'unnatural' before dying such as gasping, unbalanced, swimming erratically, losing colour, darkening colour, listless, up at water surface etc? With the fin rot symptoms on the weather loach and then additional deaths it could be a case of a bacterial infection of some kind, which can be treated. Best thing to do is rule out water quality issues and go from there.

Why are the weather loaches in a bucket? Do you have filtration of some kind on the bucket and aeration? Hvae you been addint treatment or are you just removing from the tank to try and prevent other fish from catching whatever it is?

Are you keeping the weather loaches in with the pangio sp long term and what temp are you keeping the tank at?

Ash