Tank tanked

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ahmandi2

Tank tanked

Post by ahmandi2 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:52 pm

Someone recently suggested tearing the tank down and restarting. After losing a kuhli, the cardinals, and one of our dojos, with another following quickly in her footsteps today, I am inclined to agree. I can't move on it right now, since the poor dojo's have been through hell already this week (into iso tank, where one of the gang died, out of iso, etc).....the rainbows we purchased have now got white lips....it's like every thing we've fought has come back with teeth and a vengeful attitude this past week...
The remaining cardinals are looking good though. Four of em. It's twice what we had before ...so we're getting a school...slowly.
I am just praying that Fatso the Dojo lives. She is the mate to the other remaining dojo. He will be frantic without her. Small water changes and medication are all I can do at this point....
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

Crissyloach

Re: Tank tanked

Post by Crissyloach » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:06 pm

Do you have a large enough QT tank that they could go in for a little while- or until they are better? If so, I think I would go ahead with it- yes, it wrecks your cycle, but you could bleach everything from the tank, and get a fishless cycle going in the main tank well you treat them in QT. Might just be worth it if it gets all of the nasties gone. If not, perhaps look for a cheap used tank on craigslist- that would work perfect as a QT tank as long as it holds water. All you would need is the bare tank, a filter, and a heater. Nothing fancy. Just clean it out, and you are good to go. I honestly think it might be worth wrecking the cycle- some medications do that anyway.

Current betta count...Too many. :P

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:10 pm

I think I would add an ultra violet sterilizer to a tank with ongoing issues. At least in between medications.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

ahmandi2

Post by ahmandi2 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:43 pm

Absolutely, we have a sterilizer in the tank. Seems that with constant water changes (Small), changed meds (to Para Guard), and possibly the addition of copper to deal with snails, have treated all the fish. Still using the Para Guard, as a couple of the rainbows still have SLIGHTLY "fuzzy" whiteness on their lips. Much, much healthier tank now. Didn't lose any more fish. And the dojo's are doing FABULOUSLY.
Someday soon I hope to feel ok enough to add another dojo or two...we got rid of the BN Pleco. He was causing havoc on the tank floor, and his strikes on the dojos were causing major problems, and I believe it was one of his attacks that ripped open the one who died, leaving her defenseless against the bacterial we were fighting. I guess his spines are what he was using, (I appreciate the info from Diana about the bns' weapons which I did not know a thing about!)and the last time I saw him "charge", he left some holes in another fish. He's now in a good little LFS; I am trusting them to not sell him to anyone as naive as I was, with gentle bottom feeders. He's got a lot of Cichlid fans & tanks, so he's aiming for someone with a tank like that, where Mr. Plecostomoose will not be fighting any ground fish for food...and where the other fish can handle his aggressive "charges" a bit better.
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"