Levamisole made clown Loach give off tons of slime

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

sandsea

Levamisole made clown Loach give off tons of slime

Post by sandsea » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:13 pm

just treated my community tank this evening with levimisole, really needed to use it, guppys that were put in there a few months ago- came from a tank where they are now showing Camallanus big time, can't have my community tank infected.

anyway my loaches hid, so i looked for the largest, he's at least 7 years old, probably older, anyway he was COVERED in slime sheets and pale grey. i removed all of the clowns from this tank and put them in an empty quarantine tank i had.
BUT I want them treated, they can't stay in a 20 gallon Q tank forever.
They've been in the tank with infected fish for a long time, plus my newest little clown is about a year old, but still so skinny and tiny, they really need the treatment in my opinion.

has anyone used this on clowns? i have used it on other fish b4, but never on my loaches.
if i were going to be around tomorrow to keep an eye on them i may have let the clowns stay in there for at least 6 hours, but i will be gone all day. maybe i'll just treat the qt this weekend when i can watch them like a hawk. i feel bad though. it was obviously so distressing for them.

EmilyMarie85

Re: Levamisole made clown Loach give off tons of slime

Post by EmilyMarie85 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:08 pm

I treated clowns with the powder form of levamisole -- and didn't have any negative results at all. Clowns were 2.5"-7" -- I only left the levamisole in for 24 hours

sandsea

Post by sandsea » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:23 pm

emily i thought i found a post from u from about three years back where the same thing happened to u? the whole slime thing?

sandsea

Post by sandsea » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:25 pm

oh here i found the post
not you
http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... me#p152153
same thing happened to their fish but other than a water change.
it may have been the de chloraminator plus the medication that bothered them, cuz i did a big water change b4 i treated the tank.
maybe i'll treat the clowns separate this weekend.
anyway thanks Emily! good to know yours were okay :)

EmilyMarie85

Post by EmilyMarie85 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:31 pm

Wondering how this went for you?

I am treating my clowns with their second dose of levamisole -- I treated the tank last night, when I get home today I will do the wc - then treat again in another week. They all looked good this morning, was wondering how yours were?

sandsea

Post by sandsea » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:52 pm

i removed the clowns right away when i saw the bad reaction, i never did put them back in that tank. and my big Koi who lived in that tank was dead by morning, the rest seemed quite ill. i changed out 90 % of the water. maybe if i would have added extra airation? who knows.