Greenish/Whitish "Spot" On My Pleco's Nose?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Asmodeus

Greenish/Whitish "Spot" On My Pleco's Nose?

Post by Asmodeus » Thu May 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Hi,

A short while ago while feeding my fish, I noticed what appears to be a whitish/greenish coloured "spot" on my large pleco's nose area. I'm pretty sure it is new, but I don't often get to take a good look at him as he is usually hiding (except at feeding time or when the aquarium lights are off).
I haven't owned him long, just a few months or so, but I've grown very attached to him already and I would absolutely hate to lose him.

Am I just overreacting? As far as I can tell, the spot shouldn't be there... and it almost looks like cotton-mouth or some kind of fungus. I'm fairly new to owning plecos, though, so I would appreciate any help or ideas anyone may have for me. His behaviour has not been affected by it at all, from what I've seen so far.

Thank you.

shredaspud

Re: Greenish/Whitish "Spot" On My Pleco's Nose?

Post by shredaspud » Tue May 17, 2011 2:04 am

My Plecos in the past have had this dirty look to them. They are pretty tough considering they feed off the garbage at the bottom of the tank, not unlike politicians. Sometimes they get beatup-looking but they always seem to pull through just fine without any treatment. I lost a Pleco to worms once. That was rather disgusting. Wherever it swam, it left a long white thread. But your Pleco looks okay, so I wouldn't mess with it.

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Wed May 18, 2011 5:27 am

Are you talking about the snout area above the mouth theres a slightly faded area? It to me just looks like its slightly rubbed from the photo - I personally see nothing wrong, it looks like a nice healthy fish. It could be that he might have rubbed it on a decoration or stone he was trying to have a nose under. I would just keep an eye to see if it changes into something but to me it doesnt look like it will :)

Ash

Asmodeus

Post by Asmodeus » Thu May 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Thank you both for your replies. :) Sorry it took me a while to get back to you.
I suppose I was just overreacting. He does often root around in the gravel, so it's really not surprising that he got a rub on his nose. It hasn't turned into anything worse, so that must be all it is.