Black smudges on Rainbow

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ahmandi2

Black smudges on Rainbow

Post by ahmandi2 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:39 pm

One of my rainbows has had black smudges on her body, off and on, since we got her. They are smallish; I thought that they were bruises, as she has always been rather the scapegoat of the group. Lately, though, they've seemed to multiply, she has a few of them on either side of her body. One in particular is different now; it seems to be a sore now. It's not red, but the middle of the smudge looks open, like a sore, or a bite....
I can't get a good enough picture to show you; and I can't find anything similar to this (I thought maybe black spot, but the description is not similar at all). No other fish have the symptoms.
I am going to move her to a small breeding trap in the tank; if it's bruising, I assume it will clear up at that point, and then I'll rehome her. If it's not...any ideas?
She's still eating, and *trying* to spawn, but none of the males want her. Otherwise healthy.
Thanks for any advice!
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"

Diana

Re: Black smudges on Rainbow

Post by Diana » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:13 pm

The behavior suggests it is bruising. Fish can ram into each other, causing bruising and occasionally internal injuries. Rarely breaks the skin.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

ahmandi2

Re: Black smudges on Rainbow

Post by ahmandi2 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:22 pm

Trapped her today; she's in a breeding trap with some nice plant cover in the main tank; we'll see I guess if she gets better when outside of range of the other fish. She's looking very poorly though; I hope she makes it.
"I'm not *THAT* kind of hunter"