Goldfish Emergency - help please

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

emi-chan

Goldfish Emergency - help please

Post by emi-chan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:55 am

My brothers goldfish isn't well at all!

A couple of months ago, the scales behind his gills seemed to be pinched out. He was treated and he recovered fine (it was almost like a bloating)
Now however, the same fish has developed (over night) a smooth patch of black around the same area that had previously healed.
I don't think it's ammonia burn since ammonia is 0 on several tests.
Is there any advice anyone could give as to what sort of disease/fungus/infection this could be??
Or what I should do?? I have a hospital tank spare he could go into.
The fish is also acting a bit weird as he's squatting on the bottom of the tank not really energetic like he normally would be.

My brother is very thran. He's going to end up killing the poor thing!!!!

it's starting on the other side as well
moo

KittyKat

Re: Goldfish Emergency - help please

Post by KittyKat » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:08 pm

Water parameters? Tank size? Tankmates?
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

emi-chan

Post by emi-chan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:44 am

look, i know everybody everywhere wants to know tank parameters before giving advice so here are the parameters:

ammonia:0
nitrates:0 (or min)
nitrites:0
pH:7.2

tank size now a small hospital tank (35l)

this fish has taken a big downturn. he was fine this morning with no visable changes in the black on him but now he's upside down or on his side. this has happened in the last couple of HOURS as in 2 hours.
he's totally on his way out but if there is any advice i'd appreciate it pretty darn soon!

what i'm more worried about is that another fish is developing the same scale deformitiy that this one had a couple of months ago.
going from the pattern of events, this fish is going the same way.

i have no idea what's going on. the only thing i can think of is that there are too many fish in the big tank for them to grow properly (since the fish with problems look like they're bursting) even though the water quality is good itself.
moo

EmilyMarie85

Post by EmilyMarie85 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:37 pm

I really don't know, but it kind of reminded me of this http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/sh ... ictures%29

Or maybe diplopstomiasis?

emi-chan

Post by emi-chan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:59 pm

thanks for the help but 'don fish' has passed away. he was only 4 years old.
i still don't know what was wrong with him but we're going to treat the others and hope what ever is was, it doesn't spread
moo