What is wrong?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

EmilyMarie85

What is wrong?

Post by EmilyMarie85 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:20 pm

What is wrong with my clown loach?
Came home, saw this:

Fin rot maybe? The clown is in a 125g with 2 plecos a BGK and other clowns. I bought a 210g for them, but had to move their 125g so the 210g could go where the 125g is... so on Sunday, I moved their 125g and put them back in it which I am sure caused some stress - but I haven't moved filters or anything over yet so the BB should be fine.

Ph 7.0

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm

Used API test kit

Help please!

EmilyMarie85

Re: What is wrong?

Post by EmilyMarie85 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:54 pm

Please - anyone?

glenna

Post by glenna » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:03 pm

has your loach been acting differently? eating okay? How much time btwn pic #1 to pic#2?
Has it been a stable tank with no new fish?

it may be an area of trauma, as the second picture looks a little better than the first. I know it is a really difficult decision to remove a fish from its home and put it in a Q tank (how much stress is too much???....plus how hard is it to get the fish OUT of the established tank), but if it is not getting better...what is the lesser of two evils?

if it seems okay, is eating well, the other fish seem okay and no new lesions, I think I would keep it in its home tank and watch, with low threshhold toremove to a Qtank.
This is just my opinion. Hopefully those with more experience will chip in soon!
glenna

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:14 pm

I also see that white spot as a minor injury.
Best treatment is to keep the water as absolutely clean as possible, lowest possible nitrate. Well under 10 ppm is best.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

EmilyMarie85

Post by EmilyMarie85 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:32 pm

Thank you for replys.

Pics were only taken a few minutes apart from each other.

*Edit: No one else is showing any signs of lesions/marks at all - this is the only fish with the mark.

I know that 10ppm nitrate is high, especially for clowns --- I did purchase a bigger tank for them and am in the process of setting it up.. Earlier, I did a 50% water change and added Melafix. Fish is still eating (just had some blood worms w/ garlic about an hour ago). Per Murphy's Law, I am supposed to go out of town this Saturday, returning on Wednesday. Hopefully this will be resolved before then so I don't have to change my plans.. Right now, I plan water changes everyday + Melafix and to watch closely.