Schistura Obeini

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

crazyaboutfish

Schistura Obeini

Post by crazyaboutfish » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:55 am

Hi,

First ever post on this forum so please be gentle. LOL. I would class myself as a fairly experienced fishkeeper and am currently running 10 tanks of varying sizes with mostly L number plec's, miniature cats and loaches of which I have 4 groups polkadots, striata's, dario's and these guys.

I have a question specifically about Schistura Obeini of which I have a group of 9 in a 4ft tank. All of them have developed paler off white/ yellowish colouration between the gill and the dorsal mostly on both flanks but in all cases completly confined to the flank in that area. My first thought initially was velvet but none of the other fish in the tank are showing any signs at all and the Schistura Obeini seem completely unphased with apparently no discomfort at all. i.e. no flicking or rubbing, and no loss of appetite. Couple that with the discoloration completely confined to the same area of the fish in all cases it just doesn't ring true to me.

The tank has a lot of longitudinal flow, soft neutral water (gh8 kh4 ph7) at 26degrees C, lots and lots of bogwood and pipes and there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of territorial squabbles. The other tank mates include 5 orange bumblebee cats and 2 leopard frog pleco's. Their diet is very varied but I'm starting to lean towards something missing from it as being a possible cause. But I've been trying lots of different things with no change. They've been like this for a while now and I've tried everything short of medicating that I can think of.

I'm still loath to jump in with both feet and start medicating and was hoping for some help from you guys.

Chris.