Lump on kuhli loach

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

finful

Lump on kuhli loach

Post by finful » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi there - i'm really worried about one of my kuhli loaches and reckoned if anyone knew what might be up - it would be you guys. Here's a pic. I hope you can see the red lump just behind his head - it sits slightly off-centre. There are 9 more kuhlis in there and they all seem to be happy enough.

He's still eating - that's how i lured him out to take the pic but not as much as the others. The water quality in the tank is good - it's over 3 years old and quite heavily planted. I have 6 shrimp in there which i believe are sensitive to poor quality water and they are all doing well but just for info ammonia, nitrites are 0 and nitrates around 5ppm.

I was thinking about treating the tank with melafix, i don't have a hospital tank and i think it might stress him out too much trying to catch him anyway.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Karen.

starsplitter7

Re: Lump on kuhli loach

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:17 pm

I wish I had something constructive to tell you. I am sure this is a very stressful experience for you. I hope someone with more experience will come along to help you.

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:43 am

He might just be a bit injured. It may even get better in a matter of days. you never no.
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

finful

Post by finful » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:14 pm

Thanks guys. I've started a two thirds dose of Melafix (just in case it irritates the shrimps). I'll keep you posted as to his progress.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:38 pm

Watch your fish carefully when using Melafix. Some of mine have had a badly reaction. I always watch a couple hours after the first treatment, just to make sure.

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:35 am

ooh i hate treating. sooo scary
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8

finful

Post by finful » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:19 am

I know, but I'm at loss what else to do. Here's another pic i took this afternoon. I think it's getting bigger.

He's still eating though, so fingers crossed.

finful

Post by finful » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:42 pm

I tried Melafix and the kuhli loaches totally freaked out - rest of the fish were fine. I have a 125 litre tank - put in 10ml on day 1, 10ml on day 2 and 5 ml on day 3. The 5 ml dose had them racing to the surface and two of them turned very pale, nearly white almost immediately. So that's the end of the melafix treatment. Lumpy loach is still going strong, don't see him as often as the others, but he's still coming out for some food. I'll just make sure the water is really clean and hope he gets better.