Please help with disease identification

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

andicoot

Please help with disease identification

Post by andicoot » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:27 pm

It took a while to notice that one of my loaches has been in hiding. Turns out he was home in bed, feeling terribly ill! When I chased him out to see why he was hiding, he came out looking like this! :(

(his eyes aren't white, that's just the camera flash)

So he's very pale, with a slight red blush in the tail and head (redder than in the pic) and those small, brown spots on his side. His behaviour is very sluggish, and I don't think he's eating, though I assume he's been surviving like this for at least a few days. I've had him for about 3 years, so no idea why he'd get sick now. The 4 other loaches in the tank are all fine.

I'll take him to the pet shop as soon as I can, but can anyone identify the disease and advise what to do? And is it contagious? :s

Tank is 90cm x 50cm x 35cm = ~160l. Only 5 clown loaches, nothing else. No live plants. pH is ~7.3, thermo is working, ammonia etc. seems ok.

Thanks for any help!

Nicki

Re: Please help with disease identification

Post by Nicki » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:38 am

Is he the smallest?

andicoot

Post by andicoot » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:24 am

Hi, no, one of the largest. They don't ever hassle each other, if that's what you mean. They all get along very well.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:27 am

What are the most recent water tests?

I would remove this one to a hospital tank. If it can be set up where he can see his buddies that would be good.
I do not know what is going on, but I would start with plenty of water changes to make sure there is a very low bacteria level, and that the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are also kept as low as possible.

Bare bottom tank for easiest cleaning, but include a couple of rocks where he can feel safer, and some floating plants to dim the light. Do not make a snug little cave. If the disease is one that lives off the fish for any part of its life it will do so in the cave, and easily re-infect the fish. A flow-through sort of arch is OK as long as you can clean it out often.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

andicoot

Post by andicoot » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:57 am

Thanks Diana, got him in a separate tank, will see how it goes!

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:42 am

If you are not treating with any medication, you could run a UV sterilizer. This would kill any bacteria that left the fish before they would get around to finding him, or re-infecting him.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!