Went from Ich to this! Please help find out what this is!

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

SPENCERSmommy09

Went from Ich to this! Please help find out what this is!

Post by SPENCERSmommy09 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Ok so I have been batting a nasty ich infestation. I treated for a week and a half with Kordan Ich Attack. Wasn't helping and it just got worse. So then I tried upping the temp to currently 84-86 degrees. I also added 50% of recomended salt (so like 1tbsp per 10 gallons). And because I had to do something I added 60% dose of Coppersafe. (I was told at the pet store it was safe for my clown loach, pleco and cory cat). Well everything was going ok for two days... and then it just got worse. Now the clown loach has ich, yellow spots and it looks like he is shedding (I was told maybe its fungus of some kind... it looks like shedding to me but I will post pics If I figure out how.). Also lately there have bin long clear strings floating in the tank... you know how fish poop floats... thats what its like but its clear???? I am hoping that is not another parsite. So can someone please help me figure out what is wrong here?

I am taking the clown loach to a local pet store later. The kind man said that if it is bad that he will "put the fish to sleep" for me. (No cost and he assured me that he wouldn't be flushed down the toliet.. its done with some chemical).

What is this?
If he is "put to sleep" how can I keep my other fish safe?
The only other two with white spots (ich) are balla sharks and they do not have much spots on them. Can I change out water and switch to regular stregth coppersafe with my fish (will include list). ( I am mainly concerned about my pleco and albino cory cat)?

I have 2 dwarf graumi's
2 long skirt tetras (one has long fins)
2 balla sharks
1 orange and black spotted molly
2 bumblebee platties
1 common pleco
1 albino cory cat
and 1 sick clown loach (please note that all the fish does is spin in circles like he is in the pics)

DainBramage1991

Re: Went from Ich to this! Please help find out what this is

Post by DainBramage1991 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:08 pm

It looks like the fish is shedding large amounts of mucous, a sign of extreme stress and skin irritation. Producing excess mucous is a defense mechanism, so seeing that much of it is a sign that something is seriously wrong. Adding more salt can reduce the mucous a bit (it might help it to be released from the fish's gills, making respiration easier).

I suspect that the coppersafe may be the culprit. Loaches have little to no tolerance of copper, so this fish might be suffering from what basically amounts to poisoning.

Quarantining, large water changes, and adding extra carbon to remove the copper are what I would do in this case. It might even be possible to save the poor loach, if it's not too late.

I could be wrong, there are several fish ailments that present similar symptoms. However, given the sequence of events, I feel that I may be correct about this.

SPENCERSmommy09

Post by SPENCERSmommy09 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:26 pm

He was so bad that he wasn't able to swim.... he just kept swirling. It just got worse so when I took him in the man at the store said that he wasn't going to pull through so I decided to take the guy up on the offer of "putting him to sleep". He did it with clove oil I think he said and vodka. I guess the clove oil puts them to sleep. So Krusty went to fishy heaven...

Anyways the man inspected his little fish body with a flash light and found out he had ich and velvet. The man told me that sometimes velvet can irritate the skin to the poin of shedding. He also tested my sample water and since I had only put in 50% of the dose of coppersafe it should have been fine with the loach. He let me know that they use a 50% dose of coppersafe and a 50% dose of ridich in thier tanks that have loaches, cory cats and plecos and everyone comes out fine. I am not saying this is the right way for every fish but this is what they do. Long story short found a copper testing kit on Amazon half the price and it and Rid Ich are coming in by friday. Everyone seems to be happy and in good spirits. Only my bala sharks have ich and velvet now but thiers is not as bad. I cought theirs before it got to the fins like the loach's. Needless to say that I will never buy anything from petco again. Well... I will still buy dog stuff there but not fish stuff. I am a huge fan of Amazon so its either them or this fish store that I went to.

Fishee

Post by Fishee » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Just a suggestion for the future, I always buy at least 4 clown loaches together. I rarely get Ick. When I do, I do a 10% water change [for 5 days] and 1 [1/2] half dose of Wardleys White Spot cure - As soon as I see the slightest hint of 1 loach 'flash' against a rock. My method stops the Ick from spreading.
You already know this but to repeat - I always buy loaches in groups - never one at a time. They do not stress out with 'mates' and do even better if there are already more loaches in the tank.
Krusty looked in a terrible state and I think you did the right thing - having him put to sleep. Poor little guy. My condolences.
Hope this helps.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:11 am

ALWAYS quarantine ALL fish from ANY source.

While in quarantine you can monitor them more closely, and treat as needed without worrying about treating several different species or incompatible medications.

Rid Ich by itself will kill most forms of Ich, though there is one type that is resistant to most meds and to all temperatures that are safe for any fish. Sure hope you do not have that sort!

Velvet can be weakened by keeping the light off. I understand it is somewhat photosynthetic.

Sounds like you have a good fish guy nearby, to have a 'scope in the shop and able to ID the parasites. I sure would buy from a place like that, and skip the big stores.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!