Strange Botia Kubotai behaviour

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Oldshirts

Strange Botia Kubotai behaviour

Post by Oldshirts » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:22 am

Hi, I hope someone can provide some advice or guidance. I've a 210l tropical tank, a variety of fish, 10 Cory's, 10 Golden Tertas, 4 Amano shrimps, 2 Chain loaches and 2 Botia Kubotai. The tank is mature, and it have a good success rate with longevity of my fish, and a good regime of water changes, testing etc, which results in very good water quality when I test it.

Recently, the larger of my 2 Botia Kubotais started swimming up and down the tank like a lunatic, always keeping close to the front or side glass. It does this for ages at a time, over an hour or pretty much all evening long when we're sat in the room. He does eventually settle, and there are plenty of hiding places, but invariably he'll just start again no sooner than he's stopped.

This is a recent thing, in the last 4 weeks, for the past 2 years or so since I've had them I've not had anything like this.

I've taken to adding Stress Zyme and Pimafix to the water, but this has had no noticable effect on this situation.

Does anyone have any wisdom? I'd much appreciate Any advice.

Oldshirts

Re: Strange Botia Kubotai behaviour

Post by Oldshirts » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:06 pm

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:31 pm

Some loaches like to play. One of my yoyos will do circles around a filter inlet tube almost continuously for months at a time (often being followed by other loaches who seem to delight in joining in the fun), then stop doing it for a month or two, and then pick it up again.

Looks like perfectly normal loach behavior to me. Remember than each individual loach has his/her own unique personality. You wouldn't think that small fish would have varying personalities, but they do.

It won't hurt to check the water quality, but I doubt that you will find anything wrong.

Oldshirts

Post by Oldshirts » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:32 am

Thank you for that, you have put my mind at rest. The water quality is fine, they are well fed, there is no aggression, and no signed that the fish is unwell. I have cycled through a couple of tank treatments, and yes, I've seen the other loaches join in with him a few times too.

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:07 pm

The best thing to do when your loaches start doing that is to sit back and enjoy the show. :D