What is wrong with this Hillstream?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

TrebleClef84

What is wrong with this Hillstream?

Post by TrebleClef84 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:11 pm

Just getting over my worm adventure, I wasn't in a hurry to get more fish, but I had been on the waiting list for these guys for some time. I have 2 sewellia sp. 'spotted' in a 10 gallon cycled quarantine tank.

They just came in from overnight shipping this morning. They were pale on top, pink on the bottom when they arrived (I am assuming due to stress and lack of light), but they're darkening up and the pink is slowly going away. They sit around a lot, but they move/swim/chase each other as much as is normal for hillstreams I think.

Noticed these threads on the edges of their fins (nowhere else). Definitely more on the bigger one than the little one. I'm leaving the photo enormous so you can see what's on these guys. The white stripes going up the front fin are the threads sticking up and waving in the current. You'll see a lot more of them if you look at the reflection underneath the fish. I'm thinking anchor worms? But they are only on the very edges of the fins.

I have levamisole, Metronidazole, furan 2, kanamycin, triple sulfa, and methylene blue. Which of those do you recommend I put them through to get rid of the worms (if that's what they are), and handle any other nasties so they can go in the main tank? Is there something I need that I don't have?

Photo would help...
http://i.imgur.com/NOXLNyM.jpg
Since they just arrived this morning, should I wait before stressing them out further with medicine?

TrebleClef84

Re: What is wrong with this Hillstream?

Post by TrebleClef84 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:50 pm

Odd...they're all gone now. What the heck was that?! The preventative medicine question still stands...

shuwae

Re: What is wrong with this Hillstream?

Post by shuwae » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:53 pm

I know this answer is late but the loach was not sick from the fins. I find that sewellias tend to have fins like this once in awhile. It will go away. I believe the term used is shedding and remember there was a thread on here somewhere that talked about it.

Here is the thread: http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

Those look to be nice looking sewellias. I find that even with a cycled tank, hillstream fish do best in a algae covered tank where they can feed. I keep my quarantine tank outside with water when not in use and change out the water when I know I need to set it up. Keeping it outside allows the glass walls to be covered with algae.