Kuhli loach listless?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Bluebird

Kuhli loach listless?

Post by Bluebird » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:08 pm

I saw one of my kuhli loaches playing as usually, then he just started to fall and was upside down. He couldn't get up. Struggled and couldn't swim. He is laying on the bottom now...

I was treating for ich so the water is at 84f (2 air stones going currently- 1 at the time of incident)

75 g.
amonia-0
nitrate nitrate- 0-low
ph 7.5

Any ideas? He is a recent purchase- so small still

Bluebird

Re: Kuhli loach listless?

Post by Bluebird » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Unfortunately, he passed away. I can't see any signs of anything wrong.
We have six and he was the only one out and playing for a few moments before collapsing. I almost wonder if he knocked himself or something.
I was video tapping him too and all the fish. And he was playing...and then poof..he was on the ground..Makes me really wonder if he struck something- or hurt himself somehow. I don't know if that happens..I know sometimes my other kuhli's look to be playing really rough in the bubbles and I worry they'll hurt themselves.

The Angry Loach

Post by The Angry Loach » Sat May 10, 2014 4:01 am

Sadly, they do damage easily. They have a tendency to crush themselves under things and injure their spines and ribs. spinal damage is usually noted when the fish no longer has control of it's movements and has what almost looks like a seizure across the tank. This can go on for days, but very often not much longer than an hour or so. Besides the temp difference, were you using anything else to treat the ich? What kind of substrate do you have in the tank?
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird » Wed May 28, 2014 9:12 pm

The Angry Loach wrote:Sadly, they do damage easily. They have a tendency to crush themselves under things and injure their spines and ribs. spinal damage is usually noted when the fish no longer has control of it's movements and has what almost looks like a seizure across the tank. This can go on for days, but very often not much longer than an hour or so. Besides the temp difference, were you using anything else to treat the ich? What kind of substrate do you have in the tank?
Thank you for the reply, sorry for my absence.
We use soft sand and we didn't use anything but heat and water changes.
I'm extremely happy with the heat as a cure for ich. The first time I had clowns I used half dosage of meds and it burned them alive. Another forum told me using heat would be horrible and cruel basically/stressful on the fish. But I can't imagine anything more stressful than chemicals..and if it can be avoided, why not?

My clowns grew and became more vibrant. They are much happier and active now!
The rest of the khulies are doing well now too, but they don't play as much as the one who passed away did. Maybe that's a good thing, so they won't do any damage.
My clowns today being happy and ich free!