Zebra loach - Skin decease / fungus?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

erilo2000

Zebra loach - Skin decease / fungus?

Post by erilo2000 » Tue May 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi all,

Today I noticed 3 of loaches having something on their skin and I'm unable to identify what it could be.

I haven't tested the water yet as I had to go work. But I did a 30% water change, removed the carbon and added melafix.
I'll do another 30% water change on Thursday or Friday.

It is located at their sides mostly on the stomach area.

The temp is 24/25 degrees Celsius. (75/77F) And I do change the water weekly.
~I love loaches. I love every kind of loach. I just want to hug all! But I can't hug every loach!~
I'm sorry I'm thinking about loaches again. ;-;

erilo2000

Re: Zebra loach - Skin decease / fungus?

Post by erilo2000 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:35 pm

As a precaution I started to slowly add salt to my aquarium with melafix.

I have one loach who is very dominant (who is also the biggest) and chases everyone and sometimes picks at the others.
But I have noticed that they were more active now since the spring and this dominant loach seems to be more aggressive.
And I think the stuff on their sides are little wounds they got from fighting.
The dominant loach seems to have the most wounds. I guess the others got fed up?
Or the others have gotten big enough to fight back?

Anyway. All seem to be fine and wounds on the side seem to be healing.

I've tested the water and it is all fine.

As I have been writing this I remembered something which might have caused all this fighting.
The last 2 weeks I have removed some plants and relocated decorations. Some plants were part of their hiding spots.
I guess I have changed it so much that they might see it as a new territorium and now they reestablishing the hierarchy.
~I love loaches. I love every kind of loach. I just want to hug all! But I can't hug every loach!~
I'm sorry I'm thinking about loaches again. ;-;