Clown with tears in tail

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

PASoracco

Clown with tears in tail

Post by PASoracco » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:08 am

I have an older clown in my school that developed some tears in his tail a few months ago after constantly getting in bad fights, and they haven't gotten worse or healed. I have since changed my stocking so the fights have stopped; the clowns are now housed with a large sailfin pleco and a couple blind cave tetras, nothing else. Water parameters are good, run 79-81, weekly 20% water changes. Tank has two large canister filters, a HOB, and a UV sterilizer, so the water is spotless. I have been using Stress Guard and light doses of Para Guard by SeaChem, freshwater Vita Chem after big water changes, and occasional ferts for the live plants. Tank conditions have been very consistent for a long time. The fish get a mix of spectrum and hikari food and occasional frozen blood worms; some spoiled critters.

His color is still good, no other signs of infection, no discomfort, and no sign of further damage. He still fights and plays with the other clowns, gets his fair share to eat etc, but I want to help the poor guy regrow his tail. Any suggestions on treatments for this? I would prefer to treat him in the tank with the rest of the fish; he is too big for my 20g isolation tank, and I fear moving him would just stress him out. Pictures are before I did a major cull on a black-beard algae bloom, but that is an issue for another post.

Thanks in advance

http://i.imgur.com/YtRgh4p.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gYDAPzD.jpg

*edit* pictures are huge and didn't scale well in the forum; provided links instead. sorry they're blurry. Cellphone cam and a fast fish
Just call me Pierce :)
"Act Well Your Part - There All the Honor Lies"

Diana

Re: Clown with tears in tail

Post by Diana » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:35 pm

I think that is going to take a while to heal, but you should be seeing it grow out over time.

Do enough water changes to keep the NO3 as low as possible. Absolutely under 20 ppm, and under 10 ppm if at all possible.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

PASoracco

Post by PASoracco » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:03 pm

I do a 20% change at least once a week, and the numbers have been good. I'm hesitant to do more frequent changes with the terrible drought we have going on; I already use water from changes to water all of my potted plants, and not sure what I'd do with 45g more of water every week. Any recommendations on medication or supplements to add to the tank? Thanks for the help Diana
Just call me Pierce :)
"Act Well Your Part - There All the Honor Lies"

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:56 pm

Best medicine is clean water.

I agree- I am already using grey water (washing machine) to keep my trees alive. All the herbacious plants (except weeds, darn it) are dead.

I do use aquarium water change water for this, too.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!