Floating loach

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

deafjam

Floating loach

Post by deafjam » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:23 pm

I have noticed no one has truly has an answer for the mysterious floating symptom. It has been brought up to my attention when my bigger albino dojo loach had his tail floating but as heavy he is, he doesnt truly float. kinda. One of my smaller dojo loach has a severe floating issue. What seems to cause this problem? does anyone actually know???? :shock: :shock: :shock:
55 gallon tank:

2 Golden Dojo Loach
2 Albino Dojo Loach
5 Corydoras Catfish
12 Neon Tetras

deafjam

Re: Floating loach

Post by deafjam » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:44 pm

Now the loach's illness has become more pronounced after I have performed a 40% water change. :?
55 gallon tank:

2 Golden Dojo Loach
2 Albino Dojo Loach
5 Corydoras Catfish
12 Neon Tetras

deafjam

Post by deafjam » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:00 pm

Welp, he has now croaked... nevertheless I still want to find an solution for future references on this forum.
My nitrites is 1.0 ppm
nitrates 1.0 ppm
ammonia 1.0 ppm
pH is 7.4.

Did 40% water change yesterday right when I saw the floating loach issue appear.
55 gallon tank:

2 Golden Dojo Loach
2 Albino Dojo Loach
5 Corydoras Catfish
12 Neon Tetras

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:32 pm

With ammonia and nitrites showing positive on the tests there is something wrong with the water.

The nitrifying bacteria ought to keep the ammonia and nitrite at zero.
They turn these into nitrate, which should read higher than 1ppm. I do not know of a common aquarium test that actually reads in 1 ppm. Usually 5 or 10 ppm is the lowest noted value above 0.

While there is ammonia and nitrite showing, do enough water changes (volume and frequency) to keep the ammonia under .25ppm and the nitrite under 1.0 ppm. Use a dechlor that locks up the ammonia and nitrite. Seachem Prime is one example of a dechlor that does this.
Add 1 teaspoon of sodium chloride per 20 gallons of water (does not matter if it is American gallons or imperial). This will minimize the amount of nitrite that crosses the gills.

You can also add the bacteria this tank needs. Look for Nitrospira species of bacteria. Do not waste money on anything else.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!