Very "fat" Yoyo loach female.

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Maiken

Very "fat" Yoyo loach female.

Post by Maiken » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:25 am

Hi!

I have 5 yoyo loaches in my 400 liter tank.
One is a baby i bought a week ago, when one of my female died - I forgot to put the top glass on my aquarium, and one female jumped out...
I did not see it, before it was too late. I tried to save her, but she had been out of the tank too long :cry:

Both females were/are "fat" and full og eggs.
Sometimes they "tilt" to one side when they are/were resting.
I have always wondered why my females are/is so fat....and found out, that it is because the female is filled with eggs.

So my question is:
Do I just have to accept, that they eventually die, because they don't lay any eggs?
Is there anything I can do, to make her lay the eggs?
I don't want to breed - all I want is healthy, happy loashes :D

mikev

Re: Very "fat" Yoyo loach female.

Post by mikev » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:46 pm

So bad news, some good news..... mostly good :P

Yes, you have to accept.... and no, you do not have to worry too much about the fish dying. Generally, loaches do not get egg-bound, eventually the eggs will be dropped (possibly because of a spawn, but most likely just to get rid of them). This may take a while, and then your female(s) will be slim for a while and then start accumulating eggs again.

Basically, no need to worry, just enjoy your fish.... IMHO, gravid yoyo's tend to look the best.

AgarJames

Re: Very "fat" Yoyo loach female.

Post by AgarJames » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:07 am

Maiken wrote:I don't want to breed - all I want is healthy, happy loashes :D
Yoyo loaches should also contain numerous caves to give the fish a sense of security. They prefer deep caves, with small openings that allow them to squeeze their entire body into it. In fact, it’s not unusual for yoyo loaches to regularly get stuck in caves, and you should always check during a water change to make sure that none of them require rescuing. They will generally ignore any large caves or open rock enclosures that their cousins clown loaches are notorious for piling into, but there’s no reason to ignore these rock formations in a tank containing yoyo loaches.