Help: Clown Loaches Dying [Bloated Stomach + Pop Eye]

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

melvin1976

Help: Clown Loaches Dying [Bloated Stomach + Pop Eye]

Post by melvin1976 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:09 am

Hi Anyone can advice?
My clown loaches keep dying. Mostly is bloated stomach. At times, some with have bloated stomach+ pop eyes. What happen? I've tried partial water change and add salt. There must be a way to help? Please advice...?

Attached some photos for your expert advices.

Dying Fishes...

Dead Fishes, notice all the bloated stomach...

Thank you,
Melvin from Singapore

Diana

Re: Help: Clown Loaches Dying [Bloated Stomach + Pop Eye]

Post by Diana » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:55 pm

I cannot see your images.

Have you treated these fish for internal parasites?

Are they being fed a rotation of foods including roughage to aid digestion? Daphnia and peas are the most commonly noted foods, but all sorts of vegetables are good, and most foods that have shells like brine shrimp are also good.

Pop Eye combined with bloated abdomen sounds more like dropsy thought. The problem with treating this is that it is more of a symptom than a diagnosis. Somehow the fish is having problems getting rid of excess water in their body and in their cells. This might start with an infection of some kind, but without knowing more about it there is no way of suggesting the right medicine.

Here is what I would do:
Isolate the fish you have that are showing ANY symptoms from other fish.
Add Epsom salt to the water (MgSO4·7H2O) at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons.
Treat the fish with an antibiotic that targets Gram negative bacteria. Something like Kanamycin would be good (Seachem makes it under the name Kanaplex. I have no idea what is available in Singapore)
When that treatment is over, do 2 water changes of 50% one right after the other, then add activated carbon to the filter for 24 hours.
Remove the carbon and treat for internal parasites. If you can get Levamisol, that would be good. It also acts to increase the immune system. Otherwise, something like Prazi Pro would be good. This is a medicine that is made for fish. Treat according to the package, then repeat the 2 water changes and carbon to remove the medicine from the water.
Repeat the anti-biotic/anti-parasite treatment for at least 2 antibiotics treatments and 3 anti-parasite treatments.

Fish that have been in the same tank as the affected fish should be treated with the anti-parasite medicine.

I am not sure that this will cure the fish that are already bloated or showing other symptoms, but it will probably help a lot with new fish that are not yet so sick, but could still be carrying the beginning stages of these problems.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!