Big red bump

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Dojonamedboy

Big red bump

Post by Dojonamedboy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:01 am

I have a dojo loach and it has recently developed a red bump, that has gotten progressively larger, on its back. I noticed tonight that Boy (the loach) has three more red spots that are not very big yet and I am wondering if anyone has any advice or knowledge about this? I can't figure out how to upload a picture or I would so you can see it

Diana

Re: Big red bump

Post by Diana » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:23 am

Do you have a separate tank that you could move this one into for treatment?

Does it look like the bumps are on the surface, or growing from deeper inside the fish?

If it seems to be a surface problem you could start with Melafix and Pimafix. These are pretty good if you catch a surface problem early, but they do not enter the fishes system if it is an internal problem.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Dojonamedboy

Post by Dojonamedboy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:32 pm

I wish i could show a picture but to me it looks kind of like a blood bubble on the surface

Dojonamedboy

Post by Dojonamedboy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:38 pm

I do have a small beta tank I could use

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:02 pm

If this is a full grown Dojo Loach (over 6" perhaps) then I would use at least a 10 gallon tank as a hospital tank. A smaller Dojo could be hospitalized in a 5 gallon tank. Monitor the conditions very carefully, that would be a large fish in a small amount of water, and the ammonia level would rise very fast.
However, many medicines are dosed based on 10 gallons, so a 5 or 10 gallon tank is easiest to dose.

Bare bottom is easiest to clean. If you put the tank on a dark surface (or put a dark towel under the tank) the fish will feel safer.
Put a few stones in there, or an arch of driftwood. Something the Loach can hide under, but you can still monitor his condition.

Since you do not know what is causing the bump, it is hard to suggest a medication.
However, I would start with some type of antibiotic that enters the fish's system through the gills. Kanamycin is one such product. Some antibiotics also have some action against fungi. (This does not sound like a fungal problem).
If the bump is some kind of tumor then there is no cure.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!