Internal parasites

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

exasperatus2002

Internal parasites

Post by exasperatus2002 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:39 pm

My clown loaches are kept with my discus. I need to treat my discus with Levamisole. However, there's a warning with this medication and scaleless fish. How can i treatthem and not overdose the loaches? Regular dosage for the meds are .5ml/10 gallons.

gedwin

Re: Internal parasites

Post by gedwin » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:17 am

I have used metronidazole/praziquantel to treat internal parasites in tank mates in a community tanking containing botia loaches. The treatment worked with great effect, and the loaches showed no ill effects whatsoever. I have actually done this a couple of times with them over the years. There are no warnings about scaleless fish on the particular product I used (API General Cure). I treat according to package directions.

Not sure if you have a specific reason to chose levamisole, but wanted to provide a possible alternative...

Diana

Re: Internal parasites

Post by Diana » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:44 pm

I have treated Loaches with Levamisole, and they responded very well.
Are there other ingredients in the product you are using (perhaps salt, sodium chloride) that is not so good for Loaches or other scale-less fish?

I had the Loaches in a quarantine tank, no other species in the tank.
I carefully figured the dose according to this article:
http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/l ... chloride-1
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!