Ich?

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

loachnoob

Re: Ich?

Post by loachnoob » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:17 pm

Not a single ich spot is visible today, day 6 of Paragaurd.

I purchased some Metroplex, Focus, and Garlic Gaurd and mixed up several batches of food with bloodworms, brineshrimp, omega one flakes and omega one shrimp pellets. I'm going to package it up tonight after it finishes soaking. The loaches love the bloodworms, brine shrimp and flakes.

Tomorrow is a water change. The fish need a fast day, some of them have simply gotten fat. The only slender ones are the angelicus.

I intend on only feeding my Metroplex feed for the next 6 days while keeping up with the Paragaurd doses. Assuming no spots show up next week, i'll reevaluate the paragaurd dosing.

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:33 am

Holy cow, fed a frozen medicated mixed feed piece today and it got devoured. Plus it sinks!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:43 am

Returning hunger is always a good sign - the patient is recovering

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:44 pm

Can't find spots on any of the fish again, I think that's 2, maybe 3 days in a row? That's exciting and all but..........

The angelicus are still flashing!! No end in sight, but we'll keep pushing on. Until the flashing ends and 7 days passes, I will not stop the treatments. 14 days in now. Ich stinks!

Did a 30% water change tonight, and about to dose Paragaurd.

I'll try to get some pictures of the fish tomorrow to show you their appearance.

Thanks again all!

SteveG

Post by SteveG » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:54 pm

Sounds like you need to change your name from LoachNoob to LoachPro! Keep up the good work!!!

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:19 pm

SteveG wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:54 pm
Sounds like you need to change your name from LoachNoob to LoachPro! Keep up the good work!!!
Thanks Steve!

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:58 pm

Did a 50% water change, only because the water seemed cloudy. I think the medicated feed I have been feeding is to blame for that - probably from the flakes I rendered down into the feed. Regardless, the fish are the most active they have ever been. Two of the anglicus now come out, when previously it was only one. The rest of the fish are doing very well. One of the anglicus still hides, but he looks healthy. I haven't seen a ich spot on the fish for several days now. When I get home from work, all the loaches, except that one lone angelicus are out and about loving life seemingly.

I haven't observed any flashing from the fish for a few days now! I consider this a major breakthrough. Everyones breathing looks non-labored and normal. At this point, considering my SeaChem Paragaurd bottle is getting lower, I'm going to push forward until the bottle is gone. Hopefully myself and my loaches are nearing the end of this stressful battle. I intend on stopping the medicated feed once its gone, at this pace it should be gone by this weekend, probably around the same time the SeaChem Paragaurd is gone.

I'll keep y'all updated :D

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:37 pm

great! :-)
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:28 pm

Call me crazy, but did a 70% water change tonight because of the cloudy water. Moved all my plants and habitat around to do a good gravel sweep. Only fed the medicated food once yesterday morning and once this morning. Resdosed with paraguard.

Also cleaned filter media in the water i was removing

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:52 am

While large waterchanges help fighting ich, and certainly cleaning the substrate does, the problem is you will neeg certain bacteria in the tank. Those that make NO3- out of NO2-.

That is, these bacteria detoxify these nitrites by making nitrates, being 10.000 times less toxic.

So, while your need for cleaning is certainly understandable, it is better to keep it within limits

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:01 pm

So todays was suppose to be the end of the ich road, but yesterday feeding medicated feed i would swear one loach was scratching. Gonna push on another week with Paragaurd. No more medicated food though

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:32 pm

saw the same loach flashing today that I saw yesterday. He isn't doing it as aggressively as he was 2 weeks ago, but something is still "itching" him. Most of the time he's chill, but if I sit and observe for a while, he will scratch.

Picked up another quart of Paragaurd today, to continue treatment.

All 3 kubotia/angelicus are coming out now, and the other loaches are doing great as always. The fact the 3rd kubotia is coming out now is promising. Gonna keep dosing for another 7 days.

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:33 pm

I should add, my biggest worry at this point is stopping the treatment and losing all the headway we've made, thus the reason for continue dosing.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:34 am

The flashing is a hint that something is still bothering the fish.
Good to keep up the medication.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

loachnoob

Post by loachnoob » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:37 pm

Diana wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:34 am
The flashing is a hint that something is still bothering the fish.
Good to keep up the medication.
Thanks for the reply Diana!

I'm so happy to see the progress the tank has made. All of the loaches are now coming out of hiding during the day and rummaging about. Today we fed flakes and the little yoyo and his golden zebra friends were swimming around upside down on the top of the tank scarfing down flakes with the other fish. The bigger yoyo and the 3 anglicus/kubotai we're getting after the flakes falling to the bottom.

Part of me thinks the "flashing" i observed was him just scratching himself, but at the same time, as I said before, I don't want to backtrack with all the progress we are making. Makes me sick I keep dosing the tank this long, and exposing everyone to chemicals, but I suppose it's the right thing to do.

Thanks again for all the replys!