Sick clown loach

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Tan073

Sick clown loach

Post by Tan073 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:15 am

My clown loach initially showed signs of overeating and bloat. Started 3 days ago. Overate bloodworms. Now it seems it is in a lot of pain. Not swimming and curling it's body around. Seems to shake when moving. Even popping it's face barbs out which looks like pain reaction. I fed some peas on day 2 but not sure if it ate. Belly has gone down a little but still seems in pain. Still showing color but slight grey in black area. Performed water changeImages every other day. Water parameters good. Ammonia:0, Nitrites 0, nitrates under 10ppm.
Tank is 40 gallon, heavily planted withwood. Tank been set up for 3 years so well cycled. All other fish okay. Might put in qurantine tank tonight. Is it constipation or worse?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vXcfZb ... p=drivesdk

Diana

Re: Sick clown loach

Post by Diana » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:55 am

Sorry for the late response, but it does sound like constipation.
Rotate foods including peas and other vegetables and do not feed too much of any one food, especially dry foods at one time. I feed quite a range of freeze-dried foods, but scatter them well across the tank so no one fish can eat that much before all the fish have gotten some. Blood worms about once a week, and foods like brine shrimp and daphnia often. These have shells of some sort that act like roughage.

After the fish has constipation you could add Epsom salt to the tank (either the main tank or the hospital tank). Adding Epsom salt:
(1) test GH.
(2) add a little Epsom salt (perhaps 1/8 tsp per 10 gallons) and test GH again.
(3) do a little math. The goal is to raise the GH by about 2 German degrees of hardness.
(4) add a little more Epsom salt if needed, then test.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!