My yoyos are dying

This forum is for all health-related questions on Loaches and other freshwater fish.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Tikobird

My yoyos are dying

Post by Tikobird » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:41 am

I bought 2 yoyos and had them for a few weeks. One began to go toward the filter for air and then would fall slowly. Finally, he died. The 2nd one seemed fine then started slowing down and I didn't see him eat. He's still alive but very subdued.

My tank:

36 deep
2 dwarf plecostomus: 1 Angelfish, 5 Corydoras,
planted
medium gravel
good water test.

Diana

Re: My yoyos are dying

Post by Diana » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:41 pm

With the hint 'Going toward the filter for air' suggests a gill problem. A couple of diseases and parasites can infest the gills. Are the gills red? Is the fish panting? (moving the gills a lot, perhaps gasping with his mouth opening and closing)

Other diseases and parasites are possible. Is the fish showing any other symptoms? Lethargic is a general sign of a fish not doing well, not a specific diagnosis.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

loachnoob

Re: My yoyos are dying

Post by loachnoob » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:58 pm

I got hooked on loaches with yoyos and had A LOT of bad experiences.

From the best I can gather - somehow these guys are the most diseased ridden fish sold. Forgive me if you're a solid fish dealer. My best guess, is the stress from transport causes these guys to give their infections the upper hand. I've seen the symptoms you're talking about - almost yoyoing from he top the bottom. Sadly this isn't why they're called yoyos :evil:

I'll go ahead a wear my heart on my sleeve, I bet I've had no less than a dozen yoyos die once bringing them home -which resulted in me trying all sorts of stuff. In the end, the best I found was treat aggressively with SeaChem Paragaurd at the max dose for weeks on end. If the fish were healthy enough when I brought them home they survived. Most of the time they came home past the point of no return to my untrained eye. I only have 2 yoyos now - ones a beast for its age and the other (who looks like a yoyo hybrid or lacks the true "yoyo" pattern) are the only two I have left. The weird colored one hasn't grown much. In the end, I think there was an underlying ich infection.

Had my luck had been different I would have a dominant yoyo tank, but I don't. Ended up with kubotia and a handfull of other cool loach species that were simply healthier when I brought them home/quarantined them.